Crunchy tater tots elote style covered in grilled corn kernels, Cotija cheese and a mayonnaise crema sauce! If you’re looking for a major holy wow moment, then this is it!
It’s that time again. Time to make some more ridiculous but drool-ishus and over-the-top french fries!
Actually this time I’m using tater tots which must be some sort of cousin to the french fry. When is this madness going to stop?
The idea for this came from the grilled Mexican corn on the cob that you can buy from street vendors. It’s usually covered in mayonnaise and crumbled Cotija cheese and sprinkled with chili powder.
I have to level with you and tell you that I’ve never had authentic elite like that, but just knowing what the ingredients are makes it a no-brainer that I’d love it.
Actually, these tots sealed the deal for me. Any form of grilled corn is a total flavor bomb. All those little black kernels are dropped over the crunchy tater tots and dowsed in salty Cotija cheese. The whole pile of tater love is drizzled with a mayonnaise and crema sauce and fresh chopped cilantro.
Grilled corn can take a while to cook so I like to wrap mine in a wet paper towel and microwave it for a few minutes. That gives it a head start to getting soft.
Then throw it on a super-hot grill and keep turning it to make sure it gets evenly blackened. A sharp serrated knife will easily take off all the kernels when you slice the corn on each side.
Add some fresh chopped cilantro if you’re feeling fancy, grab a fork and start the party!
Grilled Corn Elote Style Tater Tots
- 1 large bag of frozen tater tots
- 3-4 ears of corn husks removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 cup crumbled Cotija Mexican cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream or crema
- A good dash of chili powder
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven and bake the tater tots as per the instructions given.
- Wrap each piece of corn in a wet paper towel and microwave for 3 minutes separately.
- Rub the corn with some olive oil and season with salt and black pepper.
- Roast corn over a hot grill turning until the corn starts to blacken.
- Slice each corn from top to bottom with a sharp serrated knife.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise and sour cream.
- Place the tots on a platter or plate and top with lots of the corn kernels.
- Add the cheese.
- Drizzle the cream on top of the cheese with a fork or pointed knife.
- Sprinkle heavily with the chili powder and finally garnish with lots of fresh cilantro.
- Serve at once.