Picture the scene, you’re crazy mad for a cheeseburger but you’re also thinking salad. Would you believe me if I said you could have both? I’m not talking side salads either, I’m adding it inside the bun to make the most freaked out burger you might see this summer.
The reason I mention salad is because this grilled pear burger with blue cheese has all of the ingredients from one of my favorites. Slices of grilled pear, peppery arugula leaves, bacon, and creamy Wisconsin Blue Cheese all on top of a fat, juicy beef patty. I almost forgot to mention the red onion balsamic relish and how I dredged the bacon in crushed candied walnuts before cooking it…wicked evil I know.
I love when summer finally gets here and almost all of my cooking can be done outside. There’s nothing more traditional than grilling burgers on a hot afternoon, spatula in one hand and a cold drink in the other. Blue cheese burgers have always been my favorite and this creamy Wisconsin blue was perfect along with the sweet taste of the grilled pears. If you run out of ideas and need inspiration for some outrageously tasty burgers, take a peek at The Cheese and Burger Society. You’ll need a napkin because salivation will definitely be happening.
Wisconsin Cheese have some epic giveaway prizes this month, and it’s all part of the Green Bay Packers Sweepstakes! If you’re a Packers fan (or not) then you have to enter. You could win two tickets to a Packers game including airfare, hotel, team jerseys, sideline passes and $500 spending money. It’s so easy to enter, just visit www.CheeseandBurger.com and you could be on your way to Lambeau Field! Remember to check in at The Cheese and Burger Facebook page for a chance to win some other weekly Packers goodies too!
UPDATE- The final decision on what to name this amazing burger came from one of The Cheese and Burger Society readers…drum roll please. The official name for the burger is Once In A Blue Moon, I think it’s perfect for this creamy blue cheese burger!
This was a sponsored post on behalf of The Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board. Compensation was provided although all thoughts, ideas and opinions were my own.
Grilled Pear Burger with Blue Cheese
- For The Relish:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 red onion sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- For The Burger:
- 2, 8 ounce beef patties
- 2 Brioche buns toasted
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 1 1/2 cups candied walnuts crushed in a food processor
- 1 large pear
- 2 slices thick of Wisconsin Blue Cheese
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the sliced onions. Cook for about 10 minutes and the onions become soft.
- Add the balsamic, red wine and maple syrup. Cook for 30 minutes and the liquid has reduced to a syrup consistency.
- Meanwhile press both sides of the bacon slices in the crushed walnuts and place on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 375 degrees oven for 15 minutes and the bacon is crispy around the edges.
- Preheat your grill to a high heat and cook the beef patties, about 5 minutes on each side for medium-well done.
- Slice the pear into 4 good size slices and grill for about 1 minute on each side.
- Place some of the relish on the bottom of the bun followed by a beef patty.
- Add two slices of the grilled pear, 2 slices of the walnut bacon and then the blue cheese.
- Finally add some of the arugula and place the top of the brioche bun on the burger.