I think I’ve cracked the code to having kids eat their vegetables…by using their hands instead of forks and getting messy. I’ve noticed with my two that anything requiring extra hands on work is always inhaled, including these Grilled Artichokes with Garlic Parmesan.
I on the other hand come from the opposite camp. I’ll avoid chicken on the bone, whole fish and anything else that slows me down. This is probably why I’ve always avoided artichokes. There just seemed to be very little return after lots of cooking and waiting. I think i’m being steadily converted though. Cooking these was a breeze and didn’t really take that long. You could even skip the grilling part but for an extra five minutes the flavor change is well worth it!
I steamed the artichokes for about 20 minutes, cut them in half and then threw them on the grill. While that was happening, I melted the butter, added some Parmesan and rosemary and boom an easy appetizer dish is what you end up with. The artichoke heart really is the best part, and we kept telling the kids to get to the middle and grab the prize! I’ll be buying more artichokes for sure but now I have to find another veggie that we can tear apart with our hands!
Grilled Artichokes with Garlic Parmesan
- 4 small artichokes
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter 4oz
- 1 clove large garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Trim the tops of the artichoke by slicing about an inch from the top. Cut the stems from the bottom.
- If your artichokes still have the little thorns on the petals you can trim the tips with scissors.
- In a steamer pot, steam the artichokes stem side down for about 20 minutes or until you can easily stick a knife into where the stem used to be. It should feel soft like a boiled potato.
- Set aside and fire up your grill to high heat.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and add the cheese, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Half each artichoke lengthwise and drizzle the olive oil over them. Place on the grill with the inside of the artichoke on the grates.
- Grill for about 2-3 minutes or until the inside starts to get charred. Watch them as they burn fast.
- Once the artichokes are ready, place them on your serving dish and spoon the melted butter mixture over each artichoke.
- Serve at once.