These mini hot dog bites are wrapped in puff pastry and topped with everything bagel seed. Make these for a crowd ad watch them fly! Serve with your favorite dipping sauces.
Whoever came up with the idea of wrapping hot dogs in pastry is a genius. Why does something so simple, taste so tasty and addictive, especially dipped deep into ketchup? And as if mini hot dogs aren’t good enough already, I added some everything bagel seed to the top and this took things to a whole new level. Everything bagel seed makes anything taste amazing, I love sprinkling it on my eggs at breakfast, steaks for the grill or chicken. It literally goes with anything and can now be found easily at most grocery stores.
Hot dog bites are easy to make and perfect for gatherings. They’re the perfect pick up food and once people see them available, they’ll be gone in a second. Usually you’ll hear them being called pigs in a blanket or crescent roll-ups and most of the time Pillsbury crescent dough will be used to roll the hot dogs up. I prefer puff pastry because of its flakiness and buttery taste. They remind me of mini sausage rolls I remember eating as a kid.
how to make mini hot dog bites
- Rolling the hot dogs
Cut the pastry as directed in the recipe and roll each hot dog piece in one strip of pastry.
Glaze each hot dog bite with egg and then roll in the everything bagel seed mixture.
Bake in the oven until the pastry has puffed up and the hot dog is lightly browned at the ends.
tips for making these easy hot dog bites
They are perfect for summer backyard parties, picnics and don’t forget game time! Serve beside potato salad, pasta salad and mini sandwiches.
I recommend doing it in the oven to keep the pastry flaky. The microwave can also be used but the pastry will be softer.
I use Nathan’s Jumbo Hot Dogs.
They can also be called Pigs In A Blanket or Crescent Dogs.
You can defrost it by leaving it out on the counter for about 30 minutes or leave it in the fridge overnight.
More easy finger food recipes
Easy Mini Hot Dog Bites
- 1 box frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 2 four packs jumbo hot dogs
- 1 large egg beaten
- everything bagel seed on a small plate
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Lay both sheets of pastry on a clean work surface.
- Using a sharp knife cut each pastry sheet in half across the middle and then cut into 3 even rectangles going up and down to end up with 6 rectangles per sheet.
- Take each rectangle and cut it into 3 long even strips.
- Slice each hot dog into three even pieces.
- Brush each strip lightly with egg wash and place a hot dog piece at the top of the pastry strip.
- Begin wrapping the hot dog in the pastry and rolling ot tightly toward you.
- Make sure the seam of the rolled hot dog is on the bottom and brush the top with more egg wash.
- Roll the hot dog bite in the bagel seed and place on the prepared baking pan.
- Repeat until all of the hot dogs have een used up. Save any leftover pastry for another project.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Serve right away with your favorite sauce.