A super-easy one pan meal full of tasty shrimp orzo pasta, fresh basil and Parmesan cheese. This is a family favorite in my house and if you make it, you’ll know why!
One dish recipes have become so popular lately and there’s tons of reasons why. After cooking for the family, I really don’t look forward to the clean up. I just want to flop on my comfy chair and finish my wine…I’m such an old dude.
Lately though I’ve been impressed with my daughter who’s stepping up to do the dishes more often and it makes such a difference.So one of the most obvious reasons for one dish recipes would be less clean up, score right? But another reason, and this might just be the way I think, is how the all of the ingredients cook together and at the end you end up with a fantastic bowl full of awesome flavor.
When Kelly Pfeiffer, the face behind the blog Nosh and Nourish asked me if I’d like to review her new cook book I jumped on it. The book is called Superfoods At Every Meal, and Kelly has simplified the process of getting superfoods into your everyday meals without feeling like you have to make a whole meal made only from those superfoods.
Superfoods– Quinoa – Chickpeas – Kale – Sweet Potatoes – Blueberries – Eggs – Honey – Coconut Oil – Greek Yogurt – Walnuts.
Each one of Kelly’s recipes is guaranteed to have some of the 10 superfoods listed, this easy 20 minute shrimp orzo has coconut oil and kale. The coconut oil melts just like butter and surprisingly doesn’t overpower the dish with coconut taste. Kale has been rocking the popularity bus for a while now. It’s not just for smoothies and juice, it tastes great in this shrimp orzo or just sautéed with some garlic and mushrooms. 20 minutes is all this dish takes to cook with minimal prep, totally simple just like all of the other recipes in Kelly’s book.
If you’d like to own your own copy of Superfoods at Every Meal, you can win one by just leaving a comment telling me if you already use any of the 10 superfoods above.
One winner will be chosen at random and given 24 hours to reply to an email or another winner will be chosen. Contest ends 2/16/15, open to U.S residents only.
This contest is now closed!
Recipe from Superfoods at Every Meal, shared with permission by Fair Winds Press
Easy One-Pot Shrimp Orzo
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes 14-
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup uncooked organic orzo pasta
- 12 ounces de-veined medium sized shrimp
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- Fresh basil optional for garnish
- Heat the coconut oil over a low heat until melted.
- Add the kale and garlic and salute until the kale gets soft.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, orzo and shrimp.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn the heat down. Simmer for 20 minutes stirring often and the mixture has thickened and the orzo is soft.
- Garnish with the parmesan and basil. Serve in bowls at once.