A layer of rich dark chocolate is covered with creamy milk chocolate and topped with crushed pretzel and sea salt. Make this easy candy bark for your holiday gift giving.
making candy bark
With Thanksgiving in the past, Christmas is just around the corner and that means lots of sweet treats! Whether you make them just for yourself, or package them up and deliver them like this easy chocolate pecan fudge, as Christmas gifts to special people in your life, chocolate candy bark is an easy project that’s always well received. It’s a very basic recipe but working with chocolate can sometimes be tricky. Check out my tips below to make your candy bark experience a breeze.
what you’ll need
- Dark Chocolate- The better the quality of chocolate you use, the better your chocolate candy bark will be. Cheaper chocolate chips like morsels contain lots of other ingredients which prevent the chocolate layers from sticking together. You might see the layers separate when you break the bark after it sets.
- Milk Chocolate- As I mentioned quality chocolate is important. I used Guittard chocolate chips for both layers. It’s a little more expensive but well worth it!
- Pretzels- Any type of pretzel will do as they’re just going to be crushed.
- Sea Salt- Prefer big flakes of seas salt so I always use Maldon.
Tips for making my salted pretzel candy bark
- You can either melt the chocolate over a double boiler or easily in the microwave.If you choose to use the microwave, it’s important that you do it in stages of 20-30 seconds at a time and stir the chocolate each time. Chocolate can burn easily and if it does, you can’t save it.
- After spreading the first layer of chocolate on the pan, place it into the fridge while you melt the second layer. This will help from up the first layer just enough to hold the second layer but not combine with each other.
- Once the milk chocolate has been melted, pour it on top of the first layer and gently but quickly spread it over the first layer.
- When adding the crushed pretzels, sprinkle them on top and then gently press down on them so they can get a good anchor into the melted chocolate.
more holiday treats
Dark and Milk Chocolate Candy Bark
- 11.5 oz Guittard dark chocolate chips
- 11.5 oz Guittard milk chocolate chips
- 1 ¼ cups crushed pretzels
- Flaky sea salt
- Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the dark chocolate until smooth and shiny. If you are using a microwave, please melt in stages of about 20-30 seconds until melted.
- Using a spatula, scrape the melted dark chocolate onto the parchment paper and spread out to a rectangle shape about 10 x 8 inches.
- Place the pan in the fridge.
- Repeat the process with the milk chocolate chips.
- Retrieve the pan with dark chocolate and pour the melted milk chocolate on top of the dark chocolate.
- Gently spread the milk chocolate over the dark.
- Sprinkle the crushed pretzels on top and gently press down on any bigger pieces of pretzel.
- Sprinkle some of the flaky sea salt on top.
- Place the pan back in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Once the chocolate has fully set, break it up into random pieces.
- Any leftovers should be stored in a cool dry place or a sealed container in the fridge.