Crispy Fried Chicken sliders with melted cheese and buffalo sauce!
Now that the teams have been verified for the Super Bowl, we can focus our attention on the game day snacks. I know fried chicken isn’t the best thing for your body, but once in a while I think it’s totally acceptable.
One of those snacks should be a big plate of this fried chicken. You can fry it in the morning and then chuck it back in the oven for 10 minutes just before the game starts. Or if you’re like me and not a devoted fan, you can just hide out in the kitchen churning out plate after plate of crispy fried chicken. Things you might need- phone, charger, wine and your own game day grub. The chicken is marinaded in buttermilk and Frank’s Buffalo Sauce, I let mine sit for 24 hours – the longer the better. Buttermilk helps to tenderize the uncooked chicken but also gives it a mild tangy bite.
As well as having Frank’s sauce in the marinade, I like to eat my fried chicken with some hot sauce and a drizzle of maple syrup. If you’re looking for the ultimate fried chicken and waffles recipe, take a peek at this Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Sweet Potato Waffles. There’s something about the salty, spicy fried chicken and the taste of the sweet maple syrup that just makes everything come together.
Sliders are perfect party food and these cook in about 5-6 minutes because of their size. The secret is cutting the chicken breast on a deep angle, almost like how smoked salmon is prepared. This method gives you thin scallops of chicken, easy to handle and a perfect size for a King’s Hawaiian roll. I can almost guarantee that these fried chicken sliders will be one of the first empty platters at your game day party!
Fried Chicken Sliders with Buffalo Sauce
- For The Marinade:
- 2 large chicken breasts or 3 smaller-medium sized
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Franks Buffalo Sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic salt
- For The Dry Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp herbs de Provence
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 12 mini slider buns
- 6 slices pepper jack cheese halved
- 5 cups canola oil
- Thinly slice each chicken breast diagonally into 6 pieces, keeping each piece roughly the same size.
- Place the chicken pieces into a bowl. Add the buttermilk, Frank's sauce and garlic salt and mix well making sure all the chicken has been coated.
- Let the chicken marinade, covered for at least 4 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, onion powder, pepper, herbs de Provence and paprika.
- Heat the canola oil in a pan deep enough to hold about 4-5 pieces of chicken at a time, until it reaches 375 degrees F.
- Take a piece of chicken from the marinade and carefully shake off any excess buttermilk. Drop it into the flour mixture and shake it around, coating completely with the flour.
- Shake off any excess flour and gently drop it into the hot oil. Proceed with another 2-3 pieces.
- Cook for about 3 minutes each side, maintaining a steady temperature of 375 degrees.
- Transfer the cooked chicken to a dish with paper towel to absorb any oil.
- Season again with some sea salt. Place a piece of chicken onto a bun and top with a half slice of cheese and some more buffalo sauce if required.