The iconic and delicious Tres Leches cake , but as a chocolate version! This amazing cake is created the same way as a traditional Tres Leches cake but with a few secret recipe tweaks. I promise you’ll love this chocolate Tres Leches cake
Tres Leches cake has always been a favorite for me. It can be dissapointing slicing into a sponge cake only to find it on the dry side, but this chocolate Tres Leches cake takes care of that issue. It’s still made like a traditional tres leches but the sponge is chocolate and I switched the whole milk to delicious chocolate milk! You can use any brand you like, but I found that Broguiere’s Chocolate Milk is the creamiest.
This recipe came from a high craving for chocolate and having a chocolate box cake mix lurking in the pantry. You can use any good chocolate cake recipe if you have a particular favorite.
FAQ’S ABOUT MAKING CHOCOLATE TRES LECHES CAKE
Sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla will complete the three milks needed to soak into the chocolate sponge.
I know it’s tempting to begin eating it after a few hours but, leaving to overnight will yield better results and the milk will have been fully soaked into the sponge. It’s worth the wait.
It’s really easy, the hard part is waiting for it to finish soaking up all of that milky goodness before you can take a bite.
It should be wet enough to leave a puddle on the bottom of the pan but you should still be able to cut a slice and transfer it to a plate as one whole piece.
Yes, just half the recipe.
more tasty chocolate desserts
Chocolate Tres Leches cake
- 1 chocolate sponge cake mix
- 2 ¼ cups chocolate milk
- 12 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3.5 ounce bar of dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with butter or non stick spray.
- Mix the chocolate cake ingredients together as per the directions and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let the cake cool for 5 minutes before poking lots of holes in the sponge with a thin wooden skewer or similar type of kitchen tool
- Whisk the chocolate milk, condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla together until combined.
- Slowly pour the liquid over the sponge and transfer to the fridge overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- After the milk has fully soaked in to the sponge, whip the heavy cream and sugar together until soft peaks are formed.
- Spread the cream over the top of the chocolate sponge.
- Use a grater or vegetable peeler to shave the chocolate bar, and sprinkle the chocolate on top of the whipped cream.
- Cut into squares and serve.