Thin bars of chewy blondies with melted chocolate and caramel, topped with flaky sea salt for the ultimate sweet treat!
more about these blondies
To be honest, these bars were destined for the failure section and I was prepared to make them again. I’ve made blondies before but they are usually always similar to a brownie, evenly sized and at least an inch thick, right?
As they baked in the oven, I could see them through the door rising up and looking like I was expecting them to. With a puffy center and a crinkly style surface, they smelled amazing. But when I pulled them from the oven, they sank a lot as they cooled. I’m so glad I didn’t write these. off though because they turned out to be one of the best blondies I’ve tasted. They are thinner than a regular blondie you might see but who cares? I added chopped caramels and chocolate chips to the batter which saved the day I think. The melted caramel sort of formed a chewy crust on the bottom while the brown sugar and melted dark chocolate created a soft, almost gooey inside. A sprinkle of sea salt completed the whole thing! They remind me of the salted white chocolate caramel cookies you can buy at The Coffee Bean.
I’d describe these bars as chewy and a little crispy around the edges with a soft and gooey inside that tastes like butterscotch and melted chocolate had a baby. Definitely don’t skip the sea salt!
what do I need to make these blondies?
- Butter- unsalted is good as we’ll be adding salt at the end.
- Brown sugar- I used light but I bet dark brown sugar would create and even more deep flavor!
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Chocolate chips- I used semisweet, but dark would also work. You cold even try white chocolate if you prefer.
- Caramels- Werther’s Originals are the best to use in my opinion. I prefer these soft versions.
more sweet bar recipes
Chocolate Caramel Blondies
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 chewy Werther's Original caramels, halved
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- flakey sea salt for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large pan, melt the butter and ad the brown sugar.
- Stir until the sugar has absorbed all of the butter and then transfer to a medium sized bowl. to cool for 5 minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooled slightly, add the egg and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour and the baking powder and mix until there are no lumps.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan making sure t's evenly spread out into the corners.
- Add the halved caramels over the top of the mixture.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. The blondies will puff up but will sink as they cool. They will also firm up as they cool
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before lifting from the pan and slicing into squares.
- Sprinkle some sea salt over the blondies and serve.