These tacos are super tasty and healthy! Stuffed with Kale, butternut squash and chorizo for an easy after-school dinner.
Tacos are a favorite in my house, and not just on a Tuesday. I could probably serve them every day and I’d get no complaints. Usually, I follow the favorites for fillings like grilled skirt steak, fish or carnitas, but this time it was butternut squash with kale and chorizo.
I know, kale in my taco? But since this recipe is from another friend and blogger, I knew I could trust her, and her recipe didn’t disappoint! Laura Fuentes from Momables and LauraFuentes.com has released another cookbook, I should put the word another in italics because this is her fourth and I’m pretty sure after her second she told me no more!
The Taco Tuesday Cookbook is definitely not just for bringing out and using on a Tuesday for dinner. Use it until it’s covered in cooking stains and every page has been dog-eared. There are so many awesome sounding recipes in the book, but I went with these butternut squash tacos with shredded kale, chorizo and topped with goat cheese crumbles.
It took me about 20 minutes to make these tacos which isn’t bad considering you have to cook the chorizo and the squash but keep the squash dice small and they’ll cook much quicker.
Tacos or burritos?
Both are awesome and the coolest thing about this recipe is that it’ll work both ways. Just make the filling as directed but wrap it up into a large tortilla and you have yourself a super-burrito!
Always, but these tacos are so good from the recipe you should stick to it 100%. But hey I get it, not everyone has the same tastes so…
Goat cheese could be changed for feta or queso fresco, but keep it crumbly!
Kale for spinach, but stay away from the shredded lettuce because then it just becomes another taco and you lose some of the health benefits of the dark greens
Squash. No, don’t sub, these are butternut squash tacos dammit and we’re keeping them that way!
Chorizo for ground beef. Sigh, I would stay with chorizo because the flavor is so different than ground beef.
Let me know what your favorite tacos are and as always tag me on your social media if you make any of my recipes! I love to see what you guys are chowing down on.
Here are some other taco inspired recipes you might be interested in!
Butternut Squash Chorizo Tacos
- 12 ounces fresh chorizo sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 pound butternut squash peeled and diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups chopped kale stems removed
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 8 small tortillas
- 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Remove the chorizo from its casing and cook in a large skillet, about 4 minutes over a medium heat.
- Transfer the chorizo to a plate and place the pan back on the heat.
- Add the diced onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the squash, garlic powder and cumin and sauté for about 7 minutes or until the squash is tender and soft.
- Add the kale and cook until wilted.
- Add the chorizo back to the pan and add the lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Char your tortillas on the gas stove and place a large spoonful of the filling onto the tortilla.
- Crumble some of the goat cheese on top and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.