These tacos are super tasty and healthy! Stuffed with Kale, butternut squash and chorizo for an easy after-school dinner.Jump to Recipe
Tacos are a favorite in my house, and not just on a Tuesday. I could probably serve them every day and I’d get no complaints. Usually, I follow the favorites for fillings like grilled skirt steak, fish or carnitas, but this time it was butternut squash with kale and chorizo.
I know, kale in my taco? But since this recipe is from another friend and blogger, I knew I could trust her, and her recipe didn’t disappoint! Laura Fuentes from Momables and LauraFuentes.com has released another cookbook, I should put the word another in italics because this is her fourth and I’m pretty sure after her second she told me no more! The Taco Tuesday Cookbook is definitely not just for bringing out and using on a Tuesday for dinner. Use it until it’s covered in cooking stains and every page has been dog-eared. There are so many awesome sounding recipes in the book, but I went with these butternut squash tacos with shredded kale, chorizo and topped with goat cheese crumbles.
It took me about 20 minutes to make these tacos which isn’t bad considering you have to cook the chorizo and the squash but keep the squash dice small and they’ll cook much quicker.
What’s in these butternut squash tacos?
- Butternut squash!
- Goat cheese
Tacos or burritos?
Both are awesome and the coolest thing about this recipe is that it’ll work both ways. Just make the filling as directed but wrap it up into a large tortilla and you have yourself a super-burrito!
can I use corn tortillas?
Corn tortillas are okay to use but I prefer flour tortillas that have been charred over a gas burner for that extra special flavor.
are these tacos spicy?
They are not spicy at all unless you add hot salsa on the side.
more great taco recipes
Butternut Squash Chorizo Tacos
- 12 ounces fresh chorizo sausage
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 pound butternut squash peeled and diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups chopped kale stems removed
- ½ lime juiced
- 8 small tortillas
- ¼ cup goat cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- Remove the chorizo from its casing and cook in a large skillet, about 4 minutes over a medium heat.
- Transfer the chorizo to a plate and place the pan back on the heat.
- Add the diced onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the squash, garlic powder and cumin and sauté for about 7 minutes or until the squash is tender and soft.
- Add the kale and cook until wilted.
- Add the chorizo back to the pan and add the lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Char your tortillas on the gas stove and place a large spoonful of the filling onto the tortilla.
- Crumble some of the goat cheese on top and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.