A giant pot of comfort food is how I’d describe this white bean chili, with a slight spicy kick to keep up the heat! Loaded with beans and vegetarian chorizo sausage, it’s the perfect game day food!
It’s so nice to start a fresh year in the world of food blogging, because with it comes a whole new bunch of awesome food days! January is hot for sports recipes and that means tasty over-the-top eats.
Buffalo chicken wings are probably the number one snack to eat for game day, but chili is also high up there. Why can’t we combine the two? Of course, we can, that’s how I ended up making this Buffalo White Bean Chili with Vegetarian Chorizo Sausages.
Just knock this chili out in less than an hour, leave it on the stovetop and let your football fans scoop it up bowl after bowl. It’s thick with two kinds of beans, celery, carrots, tomatoes and chunks of Chorizo Smart Sausage from Lightlife.
The sausage is a nice change from traditional ground beef and it packs a punch in the flavor zone. Each sausage is made from plant protein making it perfect for vegetarians. It’ll also help keep your saturated fats and cholesterol levels at a decent level.
Between the sausage and the beans, you’re well on your way to blowing away your daily protein goals. Throw in some Frank’s Red Hot Sauce for that awesome buffalo flavor everyone loves and you’re set!
Keep some of the buffalo sauce handy because you know there’s going to be someone who prefers it mega hot and spicy. All they have to do is add more sauce, I kept it pretty mild but you’ll still feel a light kick in the back of your throat after a few spoonfuls.
Whatever you do for game day, make sure you have plenty of food, maybe a few ice cold beers and the biggest big screen television you can get your hands on! Sit back, relax and load up on Buffalo White bean Chili!
Buffalo White Bean Chili with Vegetarian Sausage
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 whole carrots chopped
- 3 whole celery sticks diced
- 1 whole onion diced
- 2 whole cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 whole can tomatoes (28oz) no juice
- 2 cans (15oz) each great northern beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15oz) pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Frank's Buffalo sauce
- 1 pack (12oz) Lightlife Chorizo Smart Sausages
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley for garnishing
- Heat the oil in a large deep 10-12 cup pot never a medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 7 minutes.
- Mix in the 4 spices and Dijon mustard. Add the stock and mix well.
- Take the tomatoes from the can leaving the juice behind and carefully squeeze them with your hand. Add to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Empty the beans into a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Add the beans and the buffalo sauce to the pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Slice the sausages into chunks and add to the pot.
- Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and cracked black pepper. Serve in small bowls with rice, shredded cheese and plenty of fresh chopped parsley