This chocolate truffles recipe is perfect if you love the flavor of strong chocolate mixed with some Bourbon! These are indulgent and taste like you bought them at a fancy chocolate shop.
How to make chocolate truffles
This is such an easy chocolate truffles recipe, although it can get messy! Once the truffle mixture has set, then it’s time to roll the truffles into balls. I recommend wearing plastic or rubber gloves if you have them, this will cut back on the mess a huge amount but if you don’t have any don’t worry about it. I added Bourbon to my truffles but they will be just as decadent with no alcohol either.
Once you have all of the filling rolled, it’s just a simple matter of rolling them again in cocoa powder and that’s it! So simple, yet elegant enough to use as gifts for the holidays. You can use either dark or light cocoa powder but not Dutch processed cocoa powder. Stick to the natural cocoa powder such as Hershey or Ghirardelli.
Tips for making homemade chocolate truffles easier
- Use high quality chocolate such as Guittard. I prefer these chips and you can easily melt them in the microwave or over a double boiler.
- I used an 8 x 8 inch brownie pan to put the truffle mixture into before placing the pan into the fridge to set.
- A cookie scoop works great for forming the truffles in to evenly sized balls,
- Rubber gloves can be your best friend when rolling the truffles in your hands. Work quickly as the heat from your hands will begin to melt the chocolate.
- Add some cocoa powder to your hands if they begin to become too messy with melted chocolate.
- Store in the refrigerator and use as needed. They will also be okay at room temperature but keep away from strong flavors and heat.
more holiday treats
Boozy Chocolate Truffles Recipe
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12 oz good quality dark chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp Bourbon
- ¾ cup natural cocoa powder
- Have an 8 x 8 brownie pan ready and a small baking pan lined with parchement paper. (the brownie pan is not lined)
- Place the cocoa powder on a plate and set to the side.
- Place the cream in a small pot and warm over a medium heat.
- Warm the cream until you see bubbles appear around the edges of the pot.
- Take the pot off the heat and add the chocolate chips.
- Let the chocolate sit in the warm cream for two minutes to soften.
- Using a spatula or whisk, begin to stir the mixture slowly until it is fully mixed and is shiny and smooth.
- Add the Bourbon and mix well.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into your baking pan and place in the fridge to set for about 1 hour.
- Once the chocolate has set but is still soft enough to scoop, use a spoon or tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop up chunks of the chocolate.
- Working quickly roll the chocolate into balls and place into the cocoa powder.
- Once you have about 6 in the cocoa powder roll them around and transfer to the other baking sheet pan.
- Repeat the process until all of the chocolate mixture has been used.
- Store in the fridge to fully set and enjoy.