A light and tasty blueberry muffin style cake, cut into squares and drizzled with lemon icing. These blueberry coffee cake squares are perfect for breakfast any day of the week!
If you’re like me and favor sweet over savory for breakfast, then these blueberry coffee cake squares are perfect. Think of muffin batter but made in a baking pan and then divided into bite size squares. They’re swirled with the best blueberry preserves and drizzled with a sweet lemon icing to finish them off.
FAQ’s about making this blueberry coffee cake
Yes you can, Make the batter and transfer to the pan. Cover loosely with wrap and keep in the fridge for 2 hours at the most. Bring to room temperature before baking.
Yes, blackberry or strawberry would be perfect. Lemon curd could also be used, like my lemon cake with white chocolate.
I recommend lining it with a piece of parchment paper, just in case, and it makes it easier to lift the blueberry coffee cake out of the pan when cool.
Blueberry Coffee Cake Squares
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup blueberry preserves
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour and the baking powder together in a bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the butter and sugar together until creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl each time.
- Add the vanilla and milk and mix on slow speed.
- Add the flour mixture and mix on low until there are no lumps visible.
- Transfer the batter to your baking pan and smooth out evenly.
- Drop dollops of the preserves on top of the batter.
- Using a knife or opposite end of a spoon, swirl the preserves through the batter making sure to get down to the middle.
- Bake in the oven for 40-42 minutes and the top feel springy.
- While the coffee cake cools, mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth and then warm for a few seconds in the microwave.
- Drizzle the icing over the cake.
- Slice into squares and enjoy.