Juicy bacon wrapped hot dogs are perfect for any summer cookout. Load them up with all of your favorite toppings and serve with crispy French fries on the side!
Summer means grilling, burgers and hot dogs! As if that’s not enough to tempt you into the backyard at the weekends, try serving up some bacon wrapped hot dogs for an extra special summer treat! Juicy all-beef hot dogs wrapped in thick sliced bacon and cooked until crispy is how I like them.
These tasty hot dogs can be either be grilled or cooked in a pan on the stove. The advantages of using a pan makes it easier to control the heat and the bacon has less chance to unwrap from the hot dog.
There’s something that screams summer when you bite into a hot dog topped with so many good things like diced onion, jalapeños, and of course ketchup and mustard. Even though hot dog toppings are definitely a personal choice, I don’t think there’s any topping that I’ve never liked.
Making bacon wrapped hot dogs
Yes, you can cook these either on the grill or stovetop in a pan. The important part is making sure the bacon is wrapped tight enough around the hot dog so it won’t fall off, and make sure to get the bacon nice and crispy on the outside. This will ensure that the hot dog is fully cooked and ready to place n the bun and add your toppings.
The buns should be regular soft ball park buns. You can use brioche or sausage buns but they tend to be too big and the hot dog can get lost when it should be the star!
best toppings for hot dogs
- Grilled or diced onion
- Jalapeños and pepperoncinis
- Mustard (spicy)
- Blue cheese
Tasty side dishes for your hot dogs
Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs
- 8 large hot dogs
- 8 slices sliced bacon
- 8 hot dog buns
- toppings as suggested above
- Place a pan over a medium heat and add 2 tbsp olive oil into it.
- Lay a slice of bacon on a cutting board and place the end of the hot dog at the botton of the bacon.
- As you begin to wrap the hot dog make sure that the beginning of the bacon is tucked under itself.
- Continue to wrap the bacon around the hot dog in a spiral motion until most of the hot dog has been covered.
- Place the hot dog in the preheated pan and cook for about a minute before turning the hot dog on its side using a pair of tongs.
- Repeat this process until all of the sides of the bacon have been cooked and are nice and crispy.
- Place the hot dog inside of a bun and top with your favorite toppings and sauces.