This post combines two of my favorite things to eat. Avocado toast and shrimp. Served on thick crusty bread this is an easy appetizer that will be gone almost as soon as you serve it!
Usually shrimp toast is stuck on some bread and fried. It tastes freaking amazing but probably has a gazillion calories. Trader Joe’s has a baked version in the frozen section as an appetizer, and my kids can eat the whole box in 10 seconds, literally.
But no frying for these, it’s all about that summer grill time.
If there’s one thing in life I urge you to do, it would be to grill your bread. I’m not talking toast, I’m shouting from the rooftops about crusty bread brushed with olive oil and grilled over a high heat. Once it’s a golden brown and charred around the edges, rub it with a raw garlic clove.
Minds will be blown!
I hadn’t planned to grill my avocados but after the bread, it seemed like a pretty genius idea. Same rules apply, just brush them with olive oil and let the flames do their job. All sorts of lovely things happen when you burn stuff a little.
Add some sesame oil and soy sauce to the finely chopped shrimp along with red chili and green onion and you made it!
This is the way to do avocado toast my friends.
Avocado Toast with Sesame Shrimp
- 1 crusty ciabatta loaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 3/4 pound uncooked shrimp shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon diced shallots
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped red chili
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- Cut the bread into slices about half an inch thick and brush both sides with olive oil.
- Preheat the grill to high and toast the bread until golden and crispy around the edges (a few minutes only)
- Once the bread comes off the grill rub each slice with the garlic clove and set aside.
- In a small pan melt the butter and cook the shrimp until pink seasoning with salt and black pepper.
- Chop the shrimp very finely and add to a bowl.
- To the same bowl add the shallot, chili, green onion, cilantro, soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Stir well with a spoon.
- Half the avocados and take out the stone.
- Brush each flesh side with some more olive oil and grill until the avocados are well marked.
- Scoop out the avocado flesh into another small bowl and roughly mash it until it resembles guacamole .
- Add the lime juice and stir.
- Spread some of the avocado mixture onto the toasts.
- Top with some of the shrimp mixture pressing down slightly.
- Drizzle the toasts with some olive oil and garnish with the toasted sesame seeds.
I’m drooling over these toasts! If I slapped an egg on top of that, I’d be a happy girl!
Seriously wishing I had some of this in front of me right now!
Yowza! Even though I just ate I could totes sit down to a few slices of this avocado-shrimp goodness.
These are gorgeous. Excellent use of the summer grill!
I love that you used the grill for these!
I need this avocado toast in my life, seriously yum!
I am ready to fire up the grill for these!!
Oh my – I’ve never grilled avocados either, but WHY HAVEN’T I?! I’d be all over this toast in ten seconds.
I love that the grilled avocado and bread are balanced by the fresh asian flavors!