This fresh Watermelon Salad is loaded with spiralized veggies, Cotija cheese, fresh dill and then tossed in a raspberry dill dressing!
This watermelon salad is so healthy…seriously, raw zucchini with yellow squash, pear and watermelon chunks tossed in a raspberry dill dressing and topped with salty Cojita cheese and fresh dill.I once was in a watermelon eating contest.
I didn’t win and I walked away with a bellyache and a heavily stained shirt. Whomp.
But even that didn’t put me off watermelon for life, no way I say. There’s nothing better on a burning hot day than a triangle of juicy watermelon.
I even dusted off my spiralizer which I must do more often. It makes the most perfect curls and ends up being way prettier than just grating or chopping the veggies! The kids love using it too, I even caught my daughter spiraling for her school lunch one time!
The dressing really kicks up the flavor in this salad though, That deep pink color comes from frozen raspberries blended with some olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey and Dijon mustard.
I always try to use some kind of fresh herbs in all of my recipes but I always skip the dill. This time I went with it and loved the results, especially with the watermelon. Who knew dill and watermelon could be so awesome together!
And that salty Cojita cheese makes this salad a salad, you always need some sort of cheese, and either this or feta would be great!
Hang in there friends, the weekend is taunting us but we can make it!
Watermelon Salad with Cotija Cheese and Fresh Dill
- 1 whole zucchini
- 1 whole yellow squash
- 1 whole carrot, peeled
- 1 whole pear, peeled
- 1/3 cup candied pecans, chopped
- 2 cups cubed watermelon, about 1 inch square
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 3/4 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
For The Dressing
- 5 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- In a blender or food processor combine all of the dressing ingredients and blend until well combined. Set aside.
- Using your spiralizer, process the zucchini, squash, carrot and pear into a large salad bowl.
- Add the candied pecans, watermelon and chopped dill and toss gently with your hands.
- Add some of the dressing gradually, too much will make the salad heavy and it should be light. You probably won't use all of the dressing so keep it for another salad.
- Garnish with the Cotija cheese and more chopped dill on top. Serve at once.