Kick up your side dish game with this warm bacon potato salad with whole grain mustard dressing! Serve this on St Patrick’s Day along with your corned beef!
There are so many versions of potato salad, and everyone will tell you that theirs is the best. Maybe you prefer yours cold and chunky like this version with Pancetta and hard boiled eggs or mixed with avocado and watercress? This might be true but you haven’t tasted this warm bacon potato salad with chunks of smoked bacon and tossed in a whole grain mustard dressing. This could be the one to change your mind. The deal sealer for this potato salad is the bacon and mustard combination. Buy good quality smoked bacon and cook it slowly enough to render the fat and become on the border of crispy and chewy. It’s a simple recipe that’s best served with other types of meat so backyard summer parties and bbq’s are perfect. The salad is supposed to be served warm but room temperature will work just as well.
What do I need to make this bacon potato salad?
- Potatoes- I prefer the small baby version or dutch potatoes
- Bacon- Thick cut and smoked if you can get it
- Apple cider vinegar
- Whole grain mustard
Can I make it ahead?
Yes, you can boil the potatoes and store them in the fridge. Make the mustard dressing just before you serve it as it only takes a few minutes. Use baby potatoes which have a waxy feel to them. I prefer to keep them unpeeled. Boil them in a pot of salted water just until you can pierce a few potatoes with a sharp knife. You should feel a little resistance but you don’t want to boil them too long or they’ll get mushy and fall apart.
Can I use regular mustard?
You could use Dijon if you can’t find whole grain but it’s the texture and unique flavor from the whole grain mustard seeds that make this dish so good. Regular mustard has a much stronger vinegar taste than whole grain mustard. You can find jars of whole grain mustard in the condiment section of your grocery store. t might be a little more expensive but well worth it.
What goes with warm bacon potato salad?
I recommend serving on the side with any barbecue or grilled steaks, or just by itself. Package it up in a sealed container and head off for a picnic or day at the beach, this potato salad will travel well and works great for a snack.
Try pairing this bacon potato salad with these main course recipes!
- Chicken Kebabs with Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- One Pan Sausage and Peppers Sandwiches
- Grilled Tri-Tip
- Grilled Chicken Breast
Warm Bacon Potato Salad with Mustard Dressing
- pound small baby potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion sliced
- 3 slices thick smoky bacon chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp heaped whole grain mustard
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- Bringa. large pot of water to a boil and add the potatoes, cook until soft and can be pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and set aside in a large bowl.
- In a large non stick pan heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion and cook umtil soft.
- Add the chopped bacon and cook until amost crispy.
- Drain most of the fat from the bacon from the pan with a large spoon.
- Add the garlic, herbs, vinegar and mustard and warm over a medium heat stirring.
- Transfer the dressing to the bowl and pour over the potatoes, season with salt and black pepper.
- Gently toss together and serve at once.