Crispy Hash Browns cooked in a waffle press and topped with so many flavors including vegetarian sausage, beans, chilies and avocado.
These hash browns are pressed in a waffle iron, guys you could walk away at this point and just be happy to be eating the crispy hash browns, they’re so addictive! But then you’d miss the Lightlife Vegetarian Gimme Lean Sausage, two types of beans, Cotija cheese crumbles, diced chillies, cilantro and that sunny side up fried egg plopped on top.
I’m so spoiled with my Mexican food options here in California, there’s so many tiny hole-in-the wall places that serve the best Al Pastor Tacos or Beef Machaca. And don’t get me started on breakfast burritos!
Because breakfast, Mexican style is always 100% fine with me. That’s why my latest Lightlife recipe is totally perfect for that lazy weekend morning.
That’s a big list but every flavor goes so well together. Don’t forget to add your favorite salsa on the side. I always try for spicy but I’m usually overruled by the rest of the family.
The Gimme Lean Sausage is an awesome replacement for greasy ground beef. It make the dish feel a lot less heavy and it’s loaded with protein.
Making the hash brown waffles was a lot of fun and so easy. If you look at Pinterest these days, you’ll notice that waffle makers aren’t just for waffles anymore. If you can find an ingredient that can be easily squished and will stay together, throw it on the waffle press and see what happens.
I call it easy-peasy epic breakfast!!!! (totally worthy of all the exclamation points)
This post was sponsored by Lightlife Foods, all opinions are always my own!
Waffle Iron Hash Browns with Sausage and Egg
- 4 cups shredded frozen hash browns
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 whole can (14oz) black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 whole pack Gimme Lean Vegetarian Sausage
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup diced chillies
- 1/4 cup Cotija Cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Mix the hash browns with the beaten egg and season with salt and pepper.
- Spray a waffle press with non-stick spray and bring to a high heat.
- Divide the hash browns in two and cook separately on the waffle press until golden, around 5-7 minutes.
- Set aside or in a low oven to keep warm.
- Heat the refried beans and black beans in separate pots.
- Add 2 tbsp of the olive oil to a non stick pan and add the Gimme Lean Sausage.
- Break it into crumbles with a spatula or wooden spoon and cook for about 7 minutes over a medium heat.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a small pan and ad the eggs. Cook until just done but the yolk is still soft.
- Place a waffle on a plate and add some sausage on top followed by both kinds of beans and diced chillies.
- Place an egg on top and garnish with cilantro and crumbled cheese