This simple green salad is packed with healthy vegetables and tossed in a creamy ranch dressing!
May is National Salad Month and that’s fine by me! Lately between being on vacation and just being flat-out busy I feel like my eating habits could be better. But it’s not even mid-May yet so there’s still time to turn things around and what better way to do that than by creating a salad with Bolthouse Farms® Classic Ranch Yogurt Dressing.
But this is no ordinary salad, it’s a little different because almost all of the produce I used to make it could be considered “ugly produce.”. You’ve probably heard of ugly produce lately because up to 40% of produce in the U.S. goes to waste each year because it looks imperfect. Using ugly produce is a great idea to create less waste. There are even ugly produce subscription boxes available now so you can take that strange looking bendy carrot or oval tomato and turn it into something spectacular.
However, you look at things it doesn’t seem right that just because a piece of fresh produce might not look like we expect it to, it should be relegated to the trash pile or even the compost heap. With so many starving people all around the world, ugly produce should be an important part of the solution.
The salad I created began with mis-shaped produce but after washing, chopping and dicing, you could never tell that this simple green salad was made from a bunch of imperfect vegetables. It still has the same nutrition and flavor as a regular “pretty” salad and I used Bolthouse Farms® Classic Ranch Yogurt Dressing to add flavor and excitement Bolthouse Farms® has been in the farming business for over 100 years, developing new ways to promote energy efficient farming and reducing waste. With fewer calories and fat compared to other refrigerated dressings, you can add the dressing to any veggies without the guilt.
With 14 different yogurt dressings to choose from, you can easily make a salad from imperfect produce or even a fridge clean-up and add your favorite dressing to make it the hero of the dinner table! You’ll find Bolthouse Farms® Dressings in the refrigerated produce section of your local grocery store. Visit their website to find the store nearest you!
Simple Green Salad
- 10 oz edamame beans
- 1 whole chayote peeled and diced
- 1 cucumber peeled and diced
- 2 Heirloom tomatoes cut into wedges
- 2 handfuls of mixed greens
- 2 tbsp fresh tarragon
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 handful green beans ends chopped off
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into thin strips
- 1 pinch salt and black pepper
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the green beans. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then drain and let cool.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to a large bowl followed by the green beans when they are cool.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Drizzle some Bolthouse Farms® Classic Ranch Dressing over the salad and gently toss. Serve at once.