If I had to pick one dish that I knew the whole family will eat and beg for seconds, it’d be pesto pasta. It’s such a simple recipe to prepare and if you can source some incredible seafood and add it to the pasta, even better!
The reason I like it so much is because there’s so many good pesto sauces available without having to make your own. If you have time on a lazy Sunday sure go ahead and make it from scratch, otherwise grab a jar of pesto and pour some wine. That’s exactly what I did when I was asked to create an Italian themed recipe for Cost Plus World Market. World Market make everything so easy to create themed meals like this. They have ingredients and spices from all over the world. I chose this creamy Sacla Pesto and Bucatini pasta as the main ingredients. Simple and easy to prepare and it can be on the table in less than 30 minutes. I paired this dish with a Layer Cake Primitivo wine which comes from the Puglia region of Italy.
The challenge came as World Market announced their latest Gourmet Getaway Sweepstakes which involved teaming up with the hit television show, My Family Recipe Rocks. You could win a six day foodie trip to Venice in Italy for two. The trip includes all sorts of amazing things like cheese making, an authentic Venetian cooking class and a cicchetti tour! All you have to do is click on the gourmet getaway sweepstakes link below to enter. I’t’s that simple!
One fantastic way to finish this great meal is a traditional Chocolate Caprese Torte. A dense chocolate cake with ground almonds and a crunchy meringue-like top. This cake is perfect for making a day ahead making your life even easier. Serve it with some vanilla ice cream or a giant dollop of soft whipped cream and a cup of Italian roast coffee!
Click here to enter the Gourmet Getaway Sweepstakes and you could be on your way to Italy!
Cost Plus World Market has teamed up with the Live Well Network and their hit show My Family Recipe Rocks, hosted by Joey Fatone. My Family Recipe Rocks features amazing hometown cooks across America. Joey Fatone are cooking up old family recipes, new homegrown dishes and meeting the people behind the great food in their own kitchens. Tune in Sundays at 8:30p/7:30c or check livewellnetwork.com for local listings.
Compensation was provided by Cost Plus World Market for this post. The recipe and opinions are all my own.
Shrimp and Pesto Pasta
- For The Pesto Pasta:
- 16 ounces Bucatini pasta cooked to the instructions on the pack
- 1 jar Sacla basil pesto
- 1 pound shrimp deveined and with the tails off
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 ounces Pecorino Romano cheese
- For The Chocolate Caprese Torte:
- 1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups almonds
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 4 large eggs separated
- Boil the pasta in salted water. As the pasta is cooking heat the olive oil in a pan until hot.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour the pesto into the pan with the shrimp and cook for a further 4-5 minutes over a medium high heat.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add the shrimp pesto mixture to the pasta and stir gently until the pasta is well coated.
- Garnish with some shaved Pecorino and serve at once.
- Melt the butter for the chocolate cake and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter a 10 inch pan or spring form pan.
- Grind the almonds and chocolate in a food processor until fine.
- Using an electric mixer whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until thick and pale. Add the almond mixture and the melted butter and gently combine.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the whites to the cake mixture and gently fold through.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 45-50 minutes and the sides of the cake pull away from the pan.
- Cool before cutting.