Who’s in the mood for chicken salad? And tomatoes and avocado and bacon and onion and…okay I’ll stop but take a peek below. This is a salad that will fill you up but in a healthy way!
Have you ever seen such a pretty salad, and plates? Who needs plates when you can just lay it all out on a piece of marble and let your family go to town on it.
First of all, this chicken salad was not my creation. This super-lunch came from the sublime pages of my friend Heather Christo’s new book, Pure Delicious. The title as simple as it sounds is a true description when you flip through the pages and look at Heather’s outstanding photography. I was super happy to add this book to my collection.
I’ve been following Heather’s blog for a while and have always gained inspiration from her food photography. She has a loose type of style and isn’t afraid to break the mold a few times. I like that.
Once I knew what I was going to make from the book I started to think about how I would shoot it. This is where I feel kinda bad because the only way to do this colorful, vibrant chicken salad justice is to just lay it all out there. The wow wouldn’t have been the same on a small plate or even in a bowl.
So Heather, I’m sorry I followed your style for this, but it works and it tasted so good!
Pure Delicious is full of recipes like this built on fresh ingredients and healthy choices.
It was those healthy choices that enabled Heather to get rid of so many allergens herself and her daughter had been suffering from for so many years.
Every recipe is free from all of the major allergens, and looking at the photographs you wouldn’t even know or care. You’d just want to face plant the food and call it a day.
A book full of recipes without gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish can be done.
Heather did it and made them look crazy good.
Rosemary Chicken Salad with Avocado and Bacon
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 pieces romaine lettuce roughly chopped into small
- leaves A large handful of watercress
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 red onion sliced into thin strips
- 1 large ripe avocado
For The Dressing
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- Chop the bacon and fry until crispy, set aside to drain on a paper towel.
- In the same pan, add the olive oil and cook the chicken with the rosemary until golden brown and no longer pink in the middle.
- Lay the romaine on a large platter and add the watercress, lightly mix together.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, bacon and red onion on top of the salad.
- Slice the avocado into strips and add to the salad.
- Slice the chicken and lay on top or alongside the salad.
- Mix the mustard, olive oil, red wine vinegar, rosemary and salt together until well combined and drizzle over the salad.
- Serve at once.