A deliciously soft and sweet coffee cake packed with raspberry preserves and white chocolate chunks! If you need a perfect brunch coffee cake, this is it!
WHAT IS COFFEE CAKE?
Coffee cake is a type of yellow cake but slightly more dense than a regular yellow sponge cake. It usually has sour cream and lots of butter in it and stays more moist than a loaf brea or yellow cake, sounds good right? A traditional coffee cake usually has a thin line of sweet cinnamon sugar running through the center of the batter and is topped with a crunchy buttery crumble on top.
But it doesn’t always have to be like that, in fact my double chocolate coffee cake recipe is studded with chunks of chocolate through it and while a coffee cake doesn’t usually have any actual coffee in the recipe, my espresso coffee cake breaks that rule and includes espresso powder and guess what, yup more chocolate! I’d much prefer to wake up and have a square of cake for breakfast than a breakfast burrito any day!
IS IT EASY TO MAKE COFFEE CAKE FROM SCRATCH?
It really is and the rewards of taste and smell are well worth the effort. The recipe is a classic formula of combining the dry ingredients like the flour and leavening agents and creaming all of that butter with the sugar to form a rich creamy batter. You can add other ingredients at this point such as nuts or chocolate or just leave it with that fresh baked butter and cinnamon taste.
TO MAKE THIS COFFEE CAKE RECIPE YOU’LL NEED
- Flour- All purpose or gluten free flour if you decide to make my pear and blackberry jam breakfast cake.
- Butter- There are many different types of butter to choose from. Unsalted European butter tastes amazing because of the high fat content in it but regular butter will still give great results.
- Baking Powder and baking soda- These are what will help your cake rise, so make sure your baking powder and soda haven’t been sitting in the back of your pantry for years.
- Eggs and sugar-
- Buttermilk- I love the tangy flavor buttermilk adds to baking. If you can’t find any, you can easily make your own at home with this buttermilk recipe.
- Raspberry Jam- Make sure not to use jelly that has a jello consistency, you should use real jam or preserves. I really like Bonne Maman preserves for authentic flavor.
- Chocolate- White chocolate chips, I use Ghirardeliis
- Sour Cream- Definitely creates a tangy flavor and helps keep the coffee cake moist.
FIVE REASONS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
- It’s a moist cake loaded with flavor
- White chocolate, who doesn’t like that?
- A square for breakfast in bed sounds like the best idea!
- You can freeze some for later
- The rest of the family will love it!
Can I make it ahead of time?
Yes you could but this recipe is pretty easy so try baking it early morning and it’ll be cool and fresh by brunch time.
Can I freeze it?
Yes, just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap before storing in the freezer
Can I with the chocolate chips for dark or milk chocolate?
I don’t see coffee listed in the ingredients.
Coffee cake doesn’t have any actual coffee in it, The American version is named because it goes so well alongside your favorite cup of coffee anytime of the day!