Bake up the taste of fall with these light and tasty pumpkin sugar doughnuts. Baked until soft and then tossed warm in cinnamon sugar!
Baked doughnuts and fried doughnuts is always a debate worth having. They both have as many pro's and cons as each other. But these baked pumpkin sugar doughnuts might help make up your mind. Usually in the past I've used a batter that produced a good doughnut like my maple pecan doughnuts, but a little more dense. This version is much lighter, like a sponge cake and tossing them warm, in sugar with cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom just makes fall seem like it's definitely here. Remember to check out my home page for lots more pumpkin recipes, like this chocolate pumpkin loaf and my amazing pumpkin tiramisu!
Why I love these baked sugar doughnuts
Fried doughnuts are good but as long as someone else is making them! By making these baked pumpkin sugar doughnuts, you can skip the hot oil process and having your house smell bad for days, and go straight to having it smell like a spiced fall candle that's been burning for hours.
How easy are these baked doughnuts to make?
They're really easy! The recipe is a classic two-step process of mixing dry ingredients with wet ingredients. Once this part is done, you'll be left with a thick orange batter due to the real pumpkin used. You'll need a doughnut pan sprayed generously with non-stick spray ready to be filled. You can spoon the batter into the pan but I recommend using a piping bag, it'll be much less messy and the doughnuts will be more evenly sized!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST PUMPKIN SUGAR DOUGHNUTS
- Spray the doughnut pan well or the batter will stick. If it does stick, run a knife carefully around the edges and try and coax the doughnut upwards.
- Use a piping bag to fill the pan.
- Toss the doughnuts in the sugar while still warm. This will help the sugar stick to the doughnut, and who doesn't love warm doughnuts?
- Keep the doughnuts covered on a sheet pan for best results.
- Don't worry if you only have cinnamon for the sugar, they'll still taste amazing!