Easy cashew chicken and broccoli made in the Instant Pot! Chunks of tender chicken cooked in a peanut butter and garlic sauce. This is a weeknight dinner special!
I’ve been baking so much lately, i haven’t posted a regular dinner recipe in forever it seems especially from my Instant Pot. I had almost forgotten how easy it is to cook with it, and how quick! This cashew chicken recipe would usually be made stir-fry style which is also a quick cooking method but the Instant Pot is more of a set it and forget it way of cooking.
Ingredients you’ll need for cashew chicken and broccoli
- Chicken, boneless, skinless breasts
- Chicken broth
- Peanut butter, creamy not chunky
- Soy sauce
- Honey or agave
- Garlic, I prefer using pre-minced from a jar
- Minced ginger
- Sesame oil
- Red onion
How to make your cashew chicken and broccoli
All the cooking is done in the Instant Pot begining with the saute setting. Sear the chicken quickly before adding the onion and then the liquids. After securing the lid switch to high pressure and set the timer for four minutes. After cooking carefully release the steam and open the lid.
Adding the broccoli
I like to add the broccoli at the end and switch back to the saute setting for a few minutes. It’ll cook quickly using the heat from the chicken and sauce. I tried adding the broccoli to the begining of the process but it became far too soft and mushy after cooking in the Instant Pot. Make sure the florets are small so they cook faster.
If your cashew chicken sauce is too runny for you, you can thicken it by using a cornstarch mixture of one teaspoon cornstarch and one teaspoon water and add it to the Instant Pot. Simmer for a few minutes until thickened.
What to serve with my cashew chicken
Any noodles will work with this recipe. Just cook per the directions and add the cashew chicken over the top. I used brown rice because I like how it soaks up the sauce. Cauliflower rice, quinoa or any other grain would also be good to use.
Instant Pot Cashew Chicken and Broccoli
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2-3 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped cashew nuts
- Cut the chicken into cubes about one inch in size.
- Using the sauté setting on the Instant Pot add the olive oil and heat until warm.
- Add the sliced onion and mix for 2 minutes until the onion softens.
- Add the chicken and stir until the outside of it becomes seared. Turn off the sauté setting.
- In a small bowl combine the garlic, ginger, peanut butter, sesame oil, soy sauce and honey
- Add to the chicken and mix well.
- Add the chicken broth and place the lid on top of the pot.
- Secure properly and set on high pressure for 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes, carefully release the steam and then take the lid off.
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté again and stir in the broccoli florets and chopped cashew nuts.
- Cook the broccoli for 2 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Serve over rice and garnish with extra chopped cashew nuts