Easy Huevos Rancheros with a spicy tomato chorizo sauce and soft yolk eggs on top. This is how you should start the day!
This isn’t a breakfast you could have everyday…okay it could be but Huevos Rancheros is so special that you don’t ever want to get tired of eating it! So do what I do with macho breakfasts like this, and save them for those lazy weekends where you can really savor them. I have a visual in my head right now of me sitting at a tiny table beside the ocean, feet in the sand and eating this for breakfast.
Annnnnd slap! Back to reality, It’s Thursday and I have a list as long as the Titanic.
Traditional huevos rancheros are made with corn tortillas as the bed for all of that eggy goodness on top. But tradition can be broken and I used Flatout Foldit’s on my plate. I do still love the crispy taste so I charred my bread over a gas burner for a few seconds just to give it some slightly burnt edges. Flatout breads are not just for wraps, let’s get that straight. There are so many ways to use them and after watching this video on how to make a super-easy breakfast sandwich, huevos rancheros were all I could think about!
What you’ll need for Huevos Rancheros
- Eggs- large
- Tortillas or any flat breads
- Chorizo- spicy or mild will work
- Tomatoes- from a can is fine
- Beans- canned black beans will work perfectly
- Cheese- I like to use Cotija or Queso Fresco because it crumbles easily and has a great salty taste
All about Huevos Rancheros
The dish translates to “ranchers eggs” and is a typical Mexican breakfast. You can see why this might be a good choice for anyone working hard outside and who needs a decent breakfast to fuel them for the day ahead. A rich tomato sauce is usually poured on top of charred tortillas. and then the whole dish is crowned with soft yolk eggs. There’s a lot of variations to Huevos Rancheros like adding meat to the sauce, avocado and scrambling the eggs instead of sunny side up. Whatever way you decide to eat it, a clean plate and a full belly is guaranteed!
What can I serve with it?
The usual condiments you might see are salsa, hot sauce, Tapatio is my favorite, fresh cilantro and chips. Beans on the side for me and maybe some rice to pass around the table.
How to make Huevos Rancheros
Combine the beans, tomatoes and chorizo and simmer. Transfer to a dish and cover with foil as I like to use the same pan to cook the eggs which have to be soft and runny to get that amazing flavor and combination as the yolks run into the chorizo and tomato. Charring the tortillas is essential for flavor and then lay some of the sauce on top.
Add the eggs and garnish with lots of crumbled cheese and fresh cilantro!
This post was sponsored and compensated by Flatout Breads. All thoughts and opinions are always my own.
Huevos Rancheros with Spicy Tomato Chorizo
- 4 Flatout Foldit breads
- 12 oz beef chorizo
- 1 cup diced tomato from a can
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup queso fresco cheese
- 1 lime
- Salsa and cilantro for garnishing
- In a non-stick pan heat the chorizo, tomato and beans until hot.
- Over a gas burner or under your broiler, char the Flatout Foldit until the edges become slightly crispy.
- Place the breads on a plate and add the chorizo mixture over the bread.
- Fry both of the eggs until desired doneness and place on top of the chorizo.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro