This amazing chimichurri green sauce will kick up your steaks and chicken recipes like no other store bought sauce! It’s packed with fresh parsley, cilantro and garlic.
A good steak doesn’t need much to go with it. Sometimes a classic peppercorn sauce or bernaise sauce is perfect, but if you’ve never had chimichurri sauce with a grilled steak, you should really try it! Chimichurri is a green herb condiment from Argentina and is made by blending flat leaf parsley, cilantro, garlic and red wine vinegar with extra virgin olive oil. There are of course some variations to the original recipe, it just depends on your own personal tastes. I also love to add red chili pepper flakes to my finished chimichurri sauce for an extra spicy kick to it.
Check out how easy it is to create this condiment and make a batch for the next time your fire up your grill.
how to make easy chimichurri sauce
- Blending the ingredients
Place all of the ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor or high speed blender.
Blend until the ingredients are well broken down, but don’t puree them. The chimichurri sauce should still be a little chunky.
- Adding the olive oil
Add the olive oil and mix through the chopped herb mixture. Add some dried chili flakes if desired.
what can I use my chimichurri sauce for?
- Add to grilled steaks, grilled chicken, salmon, shrimp or scallops.
- Spread on grilled bread.
- Chimichurri can also be used as a marinade.
- Add to salads as a dressing.
FAQ’s about chimichurri sauce
Aside from the color not really. Pesto uses olive oil to bind it and make a paste, chimichurri incorporates the oil just to gently bring the herbs together. It’s a much looser sauce.
The ultra fresh sauce is used as a condiment on meats, fish, chicken and even bread and salads.
You can keep it at room temperature for a few hours but anything longer I’d leave it in the fridge to preserve the fresh herbs for as long as possible. You can also freeze it.
The flavor is very fresh with a strong garlic taste. The red wine vinegar provides a slightly tangy after taste.
more delicious steak recipes
How to Make Chimichurri Sauce
- food processor
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp each Salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Roughly chop the cilantro and parsley and add to the food processor.
- Add the garlic, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper and pulse until the mixture is processsed but not as far as a puree. It should still be a little chunky.
- Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and add the olive oil and peppers of using.
- Stir the oil through the herb mixture and serve with your favorite grilled meats.