Christmas is just around the corner and that means it’s time for traditions! Let me show you why these homemade Cinnamon Rolls are one of my families favorite Christmas traditions.
Thanks to Capital One® for sponsoring this post!
Did I just see Christmas trees for sale at my local hardware store? Yes, I did! Can you believe it, Christmas is already on the radar. I know when I buy my Christmas tree, I wait as late as possible so that it doesn’t become too dry and start shedding all of its needles everywhere! But seeing those trees kinda gave me the warm and fuzzies because Christmas is such a fun time and I bet its filled with traditions for everyone and not just me.
I have a few traditions for Christmas morning, mainly being lazy, not stressed and having awesome things to eat for breakfast! Sounds perfect right! What does Christmas morning look like in my house? It probably means I’ll be in my pajamas for most of it, definitely with coffee and hot chocolate for the kids and freshly baked cinnamon rolls for breakfast.
Maybe you think I’m crazy making my own cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning of all days, but this recipe is so easy to make and can be put together on Christmas Eve. And I promise you that once the kids have ripped open all of their gifts, they’ll be hungry and the cinnamon rolls will be just coming out of the oven!
Obviously, you’ll need to buy some ingredients for this recipe and probably a whole lot more food as the holiday season keeps rolling by because of parties, potlucks and treats for teachers! That’s where Capital One’s new SavorSM card can come in handy! With unlimited cash back of 3% on dining, 2% on groceries and 1% on all other purchases, making memories and keeping Christmas traditions alive is even more rewarding. There’s also a $150 bonus after you spend $500 in the first three months of opening your account, and holiday season will easily do that to you. You might as well start getting some rewards if a trip to the grocery store is inevitable.
To learn more about the new Capital One Savor card, visit https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/savor-dining-rewards/.
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls with Sweet Vanilla Frosting
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 envelope dried yeast
- 8 tsp salted butter cut into cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
For the Filling
- 1/2 stick (2oz) salted butter at room temperature
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk or more if needed
- Grease a 9 or 10 inch pie pan with butter.
- Add the flour, yeast, and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer preferably with a dough hook attachment and add the butter.
- Squeeze the butter with your fingers until it’s almost like sand.
- Add the egg and milk and mix for 4-5 minutes to form a dough.
- Place the dough in another bowl that’s been lightly greased with some olive oil.
- Cover with a towel and leave in a warm place until doubled in size. About 1 hour depending on humidity.
- Punch down the dough on a table dusted with flour and roll the dough into a rectangle about 12 x 10 inches.
- To make the filing, cream the 2 oz of butter with the cinnamon and dark brown sugar. Spread the filling evenly all over the dough.
- Starting at the top of the longest side of the dough, start to roll it tightly towards you to create a cylinder shape.
- Slice the roll with a sharp knife into 12 pieces placing them in the pie pan facing the insides upwards.
- Cover and leave for about 40 minutes.
- Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
- Let cool while you make the frosting.
- In a bowl combine the powdered sugar with some milk and whisk until there are no more lumps visible.
- Pour the icing over the semi-warm cinnamon roll and eat straight away.