Nothing beats fresh homemade blueberry granola, and it makes your kitchen smell really, really good!
I’ve been sitting on this recipe for a while and I’m really sorry friends, because when I made this super easy homemade blueberry granola I wanted to post it asap!
And then summer….
But now after recently seeing this other granola bar recipe, It jogged my summer-frazzled late 40’s memory into overdrive! Actually keeping it for a few weeks might have worked in our favor, because this blueberry and coconut granola is perfect for adding to school lunch boxes.
It’s loaded with all kinds of good stuff. Almonds, sunflower seeds, pecans, shaved coconut- for major chunkiness – and cardamom.
The instructions are ridiculously easy too. If you can get all of the ingredients and throw them In a bowl, then you’re 95% done! Toss them together and then slow bake in the oven with a couple of shakes (baking pan, not booty) as it bakes. You want to make sure every single ingredient is getting an even toast, chewy granola is cool and all but crunchy is what we’re going for here.
Don’t forget that you can easily switch up any ingredient too. If you don’t like almonds, then add some unsalted peanuts. Hazelnuts or pistachios would also work for you. Oh jeez, if you go with hazelnut, add some chocolate chips in once the granola has cooled and call it Nutella inspired granola.
See where I went with that? For inspiration, I always like to take a visit to the bulk foods aisle in your local grocery store. You can see, taste and buy small quantities of everything instead of pre-packaged bags that you might not end up using.
So what do you do with all of this awesome homemade blueberry granola you just made?
- Add it to your breakfast yogurt with some honey and more fresh blueberries.
- Fill some little Ziplock baggies and take it with you on the road or to the office.
- Sprinkle it on ice cream-duh!
- Use it as a topping on other baked goods like muffins or banana bread.
- Add it to fresh baked cookies, kinda like a power cookie.
Let me know how you like to eat granola and if you make this one, be sure to tag @foodnessgracious on Instagram!
Easy Homemade Blueberry Granola
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup shaved or flaked coconut
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups dried blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl add all of the ingredients except the dried blueberries.
- With a spatula or your hands mix everything together making sure the coconut oil and syrup has coated all of the ingredients.
- Spread the granola out onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes mixing around the mixture at least twice with a spatula during baking.
- Let cool and then add the dried blueberries tossing well.