I hope everyone enjoyed their Memorial Day festivities last weekend. As always the emphasis should have been on the brave men and women who chose to skip the 9-5 regime in favor for a more “open” work schedule, my brother-in-law included who served in the United States Army.
I’d be telling a teeny lie if I said I didn’t eat half my weight in pork ribs at our Memorial Day barbecue. Just to balance things out though, I plan to post a run of salads and keep my short shorts in the closet for the time being. I’m in love with grain salads but so not in love with paying $10 per pound for some of them at certain markets. So when I received a combo pack of mixed grains from Bob’s Red Mill I knew exactly what I’d be doing with them. My challenge was to create a grain salad which incorporated Stonyfield yogurt in the dressing. A quick rummage in the fridge produced some oranges and a lemon, a no brainer for an easy citrus vinaigrette perfect for this Healthy Bulgur Wheat Salad with Yogurt Dressing.
The bulgur wheat is whole grain and can be ready in 10 minutes, just treat it like quinoa or couscous. I tried to give this salad a Latin American taste and added some tomatillos, roasted yellow chili, fresh cilantro, avocado, lime and salty Cotija cheese. The flavors totally jived with one another and then the citrus yogurt dressing took it over the top. I threw in some fresh spinach leaves for color and to bulk it up. You could serve this along with some fresh halibut or barramundi or just eat the dang salad, it’s that good and filling!
You could win your own box of mixed grains from Bob’s Red Mill and free coupons for Stonyfield Greek Yogurt. Each box contains one bag of these whole grains.
Just follow the instructions below on Rafflecopter! All entries must be U.S. residents. One winner will be picked at random and be given 24 hours to respond to a winners email.
I am honored to be a member of the Stonyfield Clean Plate Club. I received product or coupons for writing this post, but all opinions are my own.
Healthy Bulgur Wheat SaladPrint
- For The Salad:
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Bulgur Wheat
- 2 cups water
- 2 tomatillos seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 8 ounces Cotija cheese crumbled
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 yellow chili roasted and peeled
- Juice of half lime
- For The Dressing:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 ounces Stonyfield Greek Yogurt
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine the bulgur wheat with the water and cook according to the directions on the pack. Let cool.
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to a bowl and whisk until well combined, set aside.
- Once the bulgur has cooled, add the rest of the ingredients except the avocado and toss well.
- Add the dressing in stages until you are happy with the taste and toss again.
- Serve at once and garnish with more crumbled cheese and cilantro. Serve the avocado slices on the side with a wedge of lime
This would be a great side for some seafood or grilled chicken.