I couldn’t finish up my summer without making some balsamic chicken salad, no siree! It’s one of my favorites and hey, let’s throw in some strawberries, peaches and salty feta to make our taste buds freak out even more!
This is a full on meal kinda salad. You could leave out the chicken but it adds so much extra oomph and makes it a really substantial belly filler. Balsamic chicken salad isn’t new on the block, it’s been around for a while but for all the right reasons. The dressing is sweetened with honey, and a little ginger and cumin take away the vinegar harshness. I love salads which end up being fridge clean-ups. A little of this and that and before you know it you have a healthy plate of green leaves and protein.
We always have strawberries in the fridge. My kids, especially Quinn can easily eat a whole container in one sitting and they’re always on hand for lunch boxes. They’re perfect for throwing into this salad and together with the feta give you that sweet and salty flavor. After I made this salad I used it as a side for dinner and served it to my kids and a few of their friends, they loved it and some of them actually asked for seconds, I’d say this makes it kid approved!
Make sure you dress this salad at the very last moment because the vinegar will start to break down the salad leaves as soon as it touches them. That’s the only downside to using balsamic vinegar, it turns everything a not so appealing dark color. Add some extra crumbled feta, almonds and strawberries right before you serve it to maximize the freshness and color!
Here’s some other great ideas for balsamic chicken salad
Healthy Balsamic Chicken Salad with FetaPrint
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground dried ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ounces spring green salad mix
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 slices small peach cut into thin
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds plus more for garnishing
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- leaves Handful of basil
- Heat the grill to high. Rub both sides of the breast with the olive oil.
- Season your chicken breast with some salt and black pepper on both sides.
- Grill until done, let cool and then slice into strips or chunks.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, honey, ginger and cumin to a blender or food processor.
- Spin on slow speed and slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
- Taste and add black pepper if needed. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the salad greens, chicken, sliced strawberries, sliced peach, almonds, and feta cheese.
- Drizzle only some of your balsamic dressing over the salad and toss gently to coat everything. Add more dressing if you prefer or keep it covered in the fridge for another day.
- Lay the salad on a large platter and garnish with some extra almonds and ripped basil leaves.
- Serve at once while the leaves are still nice and fresh.