I really needed to post something light and healthy because I’m still feeling the effects of my fried food experience at our local fair. I tried to eat my way through the superabundance of crunchy grease, but had to throw in the towel.
I went with Quinn, who’s five and a pure eating machine. We found a table and I started to explain what I had bought for lunch. Fried chicken- check, fried frogs legs- check and deep fried Oreo’s. This is where he looked at me like I was from another planet. The kid who casually chews on frogs legs was completely bamboozled by the fried Oreo’s! It could have been worse, I almost added the Krispy Kreme double cheeseburger and chocolate dipped pickle to our list. Save me!
Let’s flip the culinary spectrum 180 degrees and make quinoa.
And add green peppers, corn and fresh cilantro.
And grilled chicken with chunks of juicy peaches and toss it all together in a Dijon mustard tarragon dressing and sell that at the fair.
Just kidding (about the selling part) though I wonder if anyone would buy it, deep-fried quinoa balls?
Grilled Chicken Quinoa Salad
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 medium size chicken breasts
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 large tomato deseeded and diced
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1/4 red onion sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1/2 cup edamame beans
- 1 inch ripe peach sliced and diced into 1/2- cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro plus more for garnishing
Make the Dressing
- Pour the oil, mustard, honey, lemon juice and tarragon into a small bowl.
- Whisk until the mixture emulsifies. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Bring the water to a boil and add the quinoa. Cook as per the instructions on the pack and then let cool.
- Season the chicken lightly with some salt and pepper.
- Grill the chicken and set aside.
- Once the quinoa is cool, transfer it to a large bowl and add the tomato, green pepper, red onion, corn, edamame, cilantro and diced peach.
- Chop the chicken into cubes and add to the salad bowl.
- Drizzle some of the dressing over the mixture and toss gently.
- Taste and add more dressing if needed.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve at once garnishing with more torn leaves of cilantro.