Sometimes all you need is a simple Caesar Salad, my kids will willingly inhale it to the end. I’ve even seen heads in the bowl trying to lick up those stray pieces of Parmesan cheese.
all about this Caesar salad
I’ve always thought that making chicken caesar salad dressing was a chore. I’m not sure why, maybe it’s the anchovies or the emulsifying part, or maybe just because the simple vinaigrette style is what I’m used to. But returning from some travel recently made me tune into a Jamie Oliver show at 30,000 feet to numb the boredom.
The inspiration for this chicken caesar salad came from watching Jamie. His dressing was simple and easy. Why had I never made this from scratch before? Jamie added cauliflower to his caesar salad and used yogurt as a base…genius.
Salty anchovies, spicy Worcestershire sauce, garlic and fresh Parmesan are all whisked together..the result is a crazy good, creamy dressing.
Instead of following Jamie’s recipe to the letter, I added shredded red cabbage for a major color pop, and if you’ve never made homemade croutons, well you need to! They’re so easy and taste 1000 times better than any packaged version.
Get yourself some good rustic bread and cut some into cubes. Add the fresh herbs to the hot oil and then toss the bread in. This way you’ll get max flavor from the slightly fried herbs.
I snuck the juicy sweet Pinata apples in at the last second, dropped at the front door by FedEx as I was building the dish, and sent from Stemilt Fruit, they were perfect in the salad.
More Parmesan, because there are no limits when it comes to that cheese. Grate like a champion!
Throw on some of those chunky croutons and grilled chicken, and grab a fork…or stick your head in the bowl like my kids.
Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad with Red Cabbage and Apple
- 6 oz low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and black pepper pinch of each
- 3 in anchovy fillets oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium sized chicken breasts
- 1 romaine lettuce
- 1/2 small red cabbage
- 1 small red apple sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
For The Croutons
- 3-4 slices thick rustic french bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano chopped.
- Sea salt and black pepper
- To make the dressing, combine the yogurt, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, Parmesan, salt and pepper, anchovies, garlic, lime juice and olive oil.
- Whisk together, taste and adjust with more salt and pepper if needed. Set aside.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and black pepper and grill for about 4 minutes each side and no longer pink in the middle. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the bread slices into cubes. Heat the olive oil in a small non-stick pan until hot.
- Add the chopped oregano and then the bread cubes.
- Toss and cook until the cubes start to turn golden brown and then season.
- Discard the outer leaves of the romaine and chop off the end piece at the root.
- Separate the leaves and rinse under cold water, shaking dry.
- Chop the lettuce roughly and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Shred the red cabbage thinly and add to the romaine.
- Add the apple slices and some of the dressing.
- Toss to dress the salad and sprinkle the almonds and croutons on top.
- Slice the chicken into thin strips and place on top of the salad.
- Garnish with some extra Parmesan cheese if desired