This fresh squeezed Grapefruit Margarita is shaken with fresh cilantro and rimmed with salt for a super refreshing summer drink.
And just like that, my favorite drink was born, the Grapefruit Margarita.
While I really do understand that there are actually some people in the world that hate fresh cilantro (how could you), I love it! And I’d never have thought about making a margarita with it until I accidentally almost added it to this Mango and Basil Spritzer one day instead of the basil.
Let’s be real here, I don’t think there’s any margarita I’d turn down. That salty, sweet and sour flavor profile is like an umami firework exploding in your mouth. It’s so good even though I’m not a hard core tequila lover, but something amazing happens when you add those few other ingredients and call it a margarita.
The grapefruit has to be fresh squeezed, the taste is much better and more tart than any bottle or bought grapefruit juice. You can triple or even quadruple the recipe and go pitcher size, there’s no judging here.
Once you fill up that mason jar cram in some thick strips of grapefruit peel and even more cilantro on top, shocker right? I told you I loved it! I’d serve this savory margarita with some fresh made guacamole and chips or maybe some carne asade tacos.
Can you imagine sitting in the yard with one of these on a hot summers day? I think my Father’s Day shenanigans is sorted for this year!
But what if I don’t like cilantro? Okay we got this, don’t panic.
- Try adding rosemary instead
- Skip the herbs completely and muddle a jalapeño in the shaker
- Never underestimate lavender, the flavor is ridiculously tasty.
- Grill a few slices of pineapple and muddle that with the tequila for a smoky sweet taste
So now we have your summer drink down for this year, what should we work on next? Maybe some super salads from the grill or favorite summer sandwiches?
Let me know, I’m always listening!
Grapefruit Margarita with Cilantro
- 1 slice lime
- 6 tbsp tequila
- 1 small bunch of cilantro leaves
- 6 tbsp triple sec
- 1 1/2 cups fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 3 tbsp agave nectar
- crushed ice
- Wipe the rims of two glasses with the lime and dip them into some margarita salt. Set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker add the tequila and cilantro.
- Using the back of a wooden spoon or similar, muddle the cilantro with the tequila.
- Add the triple sec, grapefruit, agave and some crushed ice.
- Place the lid on the shaker and shake until well combined.
- Pour into the prepared glasses and add some grapefruit peel and extra cilantro on top if desired.