I think I need to see a specialist about my obsession with coffee cake. Is there even such a person? I’m close to L.A. so I’m thinking a quick search on craigslist would hook me up with someone. Today I’m giving you a gluten free coffee cake, a teeny step outside of my usual baking zone.
Nobody in my family is gluten intolerant but millions of Americans are. Other people choose to kick gluten to the kerb because they feel better once it’s out of their diet. Whatever the reasons, good coffee cake should still be readily available at a moments notice to anyone on the planet.
That’s why I made this for you, and it’s good…really good.
I switched the all-purpose flour for equal amounts of Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free blend. It kind of worked like a charm and I was really surprised at how light the coffee cake was. It’s still a little dense but guys, that’s just the butter jam and yogurt doing what they’re good at.
A lonely pear in the fruit basket ended up being chopped and added to the batter, along with some dollops of blackberry jam. Lately I’ve been adding jam to my recipes and loving the results, it’s like a ready made sauce and tastes awesome sweet or savory.
A brown sugar and butter topping gets sprinkled on top which melts as the cake bakes, and leaves you with a slightly crunchy surface. Both white and milk chocolate are drizzled carelessly on top. You can choose your own chocolate, or just dust with powdered sugar.
So keep this recipe in mind for the next time you hear someone complain that gluten free eats are heavy or dry, because I just proved them wrong.
Have a good one!
As with all allergy specific recipes, care should be taken while reading packets and ingredients for cross contamination purposes.
Gluten Free Coffee Cake with Pears and Blackberry Jam
For the Topping
- 4 tablespoons cold butter cubed
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Blend Flour
For the Cake
- 1 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Blend
- 3/4 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 sticks soft butter 6oz
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg plus an egg yolk
- 3/4 cup Greek vanilla yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 inch small pear peeled, cored and chopped into 1- cubes
- 1/4 cup blackberry jam
- 1/4 cup melted dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup melted white chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Butter an 8x8 baking pan and line with parchment paper.
- Make the topping by crumbling the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and 1/4 cup GF flour in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Sift together the GF flour, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
- Using a stand mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and mix on med-high, scraping down the bowl at least once.
- Add half of the yogurt and half of the flour mixture to the batter.
- Mix well and scrape down bowl.
- Add the remaining flour mixture, vanilla and yogurt and mix through until well combined.
- Fold in the pear by hand using a spatula.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan and spread out evenly.
- Spoon the blackberry jam on top and swirl it through the mix with a knife.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture over the surface.
- Place the 8x8 pan on a baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Bake for about 1 hour, checking at the 45-minute mark for doneness.
- The cake should be springy to the touch when gently pushed in the middle.
- Let cool before slicing and garnish with both types of melted chocolate.
You make Gluten-Free looks so good. This looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.
That is one awesome looking coffee cake!
This cake is simply gorgeous!
GAH! So freaking beautiful. Can’t wait to make this weekend!
I’m sure you could see a specialist about your coffee cake problem, but why risk it? ;) Love the mix of pears and blackberry jam, this looks perfect for the weekend!
I love pears in baked goods, the idea of pairing them with blackberry jam is genius! What a fun treat!
I too have an obsession with coffee cake! This one is calling my name tonight!
I think I have the same problem! I can resist many things but coffee cake is not one of them. This combo looks amazing!
I am obsessed with pears, I haven’t baked with them in a while, but I love them so much, so fragrant and delicious.
GF or not, I wish I was shoving my face in this cake right now! It looks amazing!
Lol Katerina, thanks!
I have never seen a more beautiful-looking coffee cake! I don’t know if I could eat it because I would just want to stare at it all day long!
Thanks Justine ;)
I love Bob’s GF flours! And this coffee cake is totally calling my name.
I was really surprised with the end results Steph, so good!
What a delicious looking coffee cake! I’m a sucker for anything pear!
Holy deliciousness! This cake is absolutely life changing for me because it also happens to be gluten free! Pinning and making this weekend. :)
Yayyy, let me know!!
How beautiful!! I’m loving the idea of the jam in this and using in more baking/cooking in general. Can’t wait to try this out!
Just checked your post and now I am craving for this lovely cake. Bob’s gluten free products are really good I am going to bake this fruity coffee cake soon.