When I was little, I didn’t really eat many waffles but my mom made sure we always had pancakes in the kitchen. We’d have them fried, savory or covered in butter and jam, so I knew they’d be perfect for this colossal Fried Chicken Breakfast Sandwich.
Chicken and waffles are awesome, fact! There’re no two ways about it, so as soon as I seen these slider versions from my friend Heidi of Foodiecrush, I knew I had to get with the program. It’s my dream breakfast, just like these Pancake Breakfast Tacos. I’m all over the savory sweet taste combo.
But let’s say all waffles ended up being abducted by aliens, pancakes could step right in and easily take over, anything a waffle can do, a pancake can do just as well. And that fried chicken should be in food porn jail with no chance of parole. It’s seriously that tasty.
I totally love fried chicken but always thought it took a lot of work to make it…so not true! Just season some flour, shake the chicken in it and drop it into your oil. I like this way because the batter doesn’t get as clumpy as a wet batter dip.
I used Lawry’s seasoning salt, but you could switch that to some creole or cajun seasoning. Add some garlic powder and onion powder and toss your chicken in it.
This is a recipe with a lot of stages but don’t let that put you off from making it. Make the pancakes ahead of time and the sausage and egg take less than 5 minutes.
Frying the chicken is where the work is at, but it’s so worth it.
So come on friends, let’s give the pancake some savory love.
Fried Chicken and Sausage Breakfast Sandwich
- For The Pancakes!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Lawry's seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1 pound skinless chicken breast
- 2 breakfast sausage patties frozen.
- 1 large egg
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- Honey and powdered sugar for garnishing
- In a bowl, combine the flour. sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the egg to the buttermilk, whisk and add to the dry mixture.
- Mix the batter until no lumps are left.
- Heat a skillet and melt the butter.
- Bake the pancakes until the batter is completely used up. Pancakes should be about 3-4 inches wide.
- In another small bowl, combine the remaining 6 tablespoons flour, seasoning salt, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper.
- Slice the chicken into thin pieces and dredge in the flour.
- Heat the oil in a pan until 375 degrees is reached using a thermometer.
- Gently drop the seasoned chicken into the oil and cook for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to some kitchen towel and let drain.
- In a small pan add a tablespoon of the oil and fry the egg the way you like it.
- Heat the sausage patties as per the directions on the box.
- Take one pancake and place the cheese on it followed by the sausage patties.
- Add a piece of the fried chicken and top with your fried egg.
- Finally, place another pancake on top and garnish with honey and powdered sugar.