Easy spicy chicken wings made in the air fryer and doused in firecracker sauce! Make these sticky, spicy chicken wings in half the time regular oven baked wings would take. These are sweet and spicy and so addictive.
what is firecracker sauce?
Firecracker sauce is a sweet and spicy sauce made with a few simple ingredients you probably have at home right now. The main ingredient is buffalo sauce. mixed with brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic and some rice vinegar. to cut the sweetness. It’s a perfect sauce for almost any protein and works amazing on shrimp (recipe coming soon!) chicken, pork or beef. It’s like making takeout at home but much cheaper.
Cooking the chicken wings
I used my air fryer to cook these wings. Just like my Bourbon and maple wings, I like them to be crispy and a little bit chewy. But to get them to that stage in a regular oven like these baked garlic Parmesan wings, would easily take well over an hour. By using my air fryer, I can have them ready to eat in less than 30 minutes! That’s one of the major benefits of an air fryer, it cooks really fast. Make sure you’re using the drumette and wingette parts and not the whole wing joint. This post explains clearly how to cut your wing joints into small perfect wings.
making firecracker sauce for spicy chicken wings
I’m not going to lie to you, these wings do have a bit of a kick to them. It’s not a horrible heat though, more of a kick followed by some sweetness and then just great chicken. As I mentioned the ingredients before, there’s only a few ad all it takes is to combine them in a small pan and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes just to make the flavors come together and the sugar to dissolve and that’s it! Once the wings are done, just brush some of the sauce onto them a few times in the air fryer and then finish them off by tossing in some more firecracker sauce. So easy!
more fantastic chicken wing recipes
Firecracker Spicy Chicken Wings
- ½ cup Frank's Buffalo Sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp black pepper, divided
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 ½ pounds chicken wings
- 1 tsp salt
- In a small pan or pot, whisk together the buffalo sauce, brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic and ½ tsp black pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook over a low heat for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat your air fryer to 380°
- Lay your chicken wings on a baking tray or large plate and season each side with 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of black pepper.
- Place the wings into your air fryer basket without them touching. You'll probably need to do two batches if you can't fit them all in.
- Air fry for 6 minutes.
- After 6 minutes, turn the wings over and cook for another 6 minutes.
- Flip the wings over again and brush generously with some of the sauce.
- Air fry for another two minutes.
- Flip the wings over again, brush with sauce and cook for another minute.
- Transfer the cooked wings to a bowl and pour the remaining firecracker sauce over the wings.
- Toss well and serve at once with plenty of paper towels.
Great looking recipe!
Thank you so much for this simple, yet AMAZING recipe! This was finger-licking good!