Healthy farro salad with creamy burrata. This is a fantastic main course or can take the place of a salad!
My little guy who will be four in a few weeks is at the stage where he wants to do everything by himself. If it’s something unsafe like asking to start the car, or something unnatural like eating our dog’s food (both things he’s tried to do and succeeded on one of them) then I have to give him the pointy finger and the word he hates to hear… “No”.
This is usually followed by a meltdown of nuclear proportion which lasts a couple of minutes until we reach an agreement on something he can safely do. Score…everyone’s happy. I’m telling you this because as I was carefully plating this farro salad for photographs, he ambled along and asked to help. I knew I didn’t need any drama just then so I told him to grab his stool and wash his hands. His mission was to transfer farro from the big bowl to the little bowl, and after some sneaky finger licking and double dipping he had moved every last grain.
This turned out to be a perfect way to introduce him to this farro salad with burrata and mushrooms. This chewy grain is something you have to taste. I try to eat my fair share of salads but sometimes the thought of another leaf makes me just reach for some tomatoes and balsamic. That’s why I’m in love with grain salads like couscous, quinoa or barley. A simple dressing and a quick rummage through your fridge usually ends with a tasty and super-healthy side for dinner. Make extra because it’ll taste even better the next day for lunch, unlike a leaf salad which can’t really be kept. I love using burrata in place of mozzarella if I can get away with it. Once you rip it open and spread some dollops around, the creamy interior brings all of the other ingredients together. Next time your at the store, get some burrata and get messy!
Don’t forget to click on the photographs to see them expanded.
You might like these other hearty salads!
Farro Salad with Burrata and Mushrooms
- For The Salad:
- 2 cups uncooked farro
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 Tbsp chopped rosemary
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- 8 oz burrata cheese
- For The Dressing:
- 2 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Make the dressing:
- In a small food processor or blender, add the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt and olive oil.
- Blend until smooth and well mixed, about 40 seconds. Set aside
- Bring the chicken stock and water to a boil. Add the farro and simmer for about 12-15 minutes. Drain and set aside in a large bowl to cool placing in the refrigerator if needed.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and add the sliced mushrooms. Saute for 5-7 minutes over a medium heat.
- Once the farro has cooled, add the chopped herbs, sunflower seeds and mushrooms to it. Pour 3 Tbsp of the dressing into the bowl and toss together.
- Divide the salad among each plate and tear chunks of burrata over each salad. Garnish with more fresh herbs if desired.