Everyone needs eggnog french toast on a holiday morning, I promise you!
This post is sponsored by Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs.
I’ve always been a savory breakfast type of person, but every once in a while I can totally embrace a thick slice of brioche dipped in cream and egg and then cooked slowly in butter. French toast is an iconic American breakfast and usually comes with a stack of toppings, much to the amusement of my kids.
This eggnog french toast already tastes so good on its own but I’d still add maple syrup and maybe a dollop of freshly whipped cream just because it’s the holidays!
You probably already have everything you need in your kitchen to make french toast, it’s really easy. Eggs, cream, sugar, and vanilla are basically all you’ll need, only this time we’re switching the cream for some thick rich eggnog. Eggnog is like Christmas in a bottle. It’s a unique taste and I know some people who aren’t too sure about it but I bet they’d reconsider after trying this eggnog french toast.
Every great meal always starts with great ingredients and the eggs are really important in French toast because they’ll help coat the bread and make the liquid good and thick, a runny batter ain’t going to work. Talking about eggs, you’ll want to buy the best and Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs are exactly that! Free range, organic and from authentic family farms set them miles apart from mass-produced flavorless eggs. If you were a hen, you’d probably want to be a Pete and Gerry’s hen because those hens have the best life in order to lay the best eggs, it’s that simple.
So how do we make eggnog french toast?
My biggest tip would be to make sure you have a good nonstick pan. It’ll help cook the french toast evenly and won’t tear your bread when you try to flip it.
And the bread! I only use brioche or Hawaiian sweet bread for french toast. They’re both already a little bit sweet and perfect for soaking up the egg mixture. Some people swear by using day old french bread but you have to let it sit in the batter for some time.
Heat your nonstick pan to a medium heat, were not searing salmon so it shouldn’t be smoking hot. We also don’t want to burn the butter or our eggnog french toast will be covered in black specks. Drop in your butter and let it begin to foam. Cut yourself a thick one-inch thick slice of bread and quickly dip both sides into the eggnog batter, then add it to the hot butter.
It should only take a few minutes on each side, so making this on a weekend is easy. Don’t forget some hot coffee and plenty of syrup drizzled over the toast!
Check out these other tasty egg recipes, breakfast never looked so good!
- Grilled Pesto Flatbread with Pancetta and Egg
- Breakfast Enchiladas
- Cloud Eggs with Bacon and Gruyere
- Eggs Benedict Bread Pudding
Breakfast beverages that’ll go perfectly with eggs!
- Beet and Spinach Smoothie
- Bloody Mary with Baby Kale
- Iced Coffee with Vanilla Cardamom Milk
- Strawberry Protein Smoothie
I always love to see what your cooking in the kitchen, so take some pictures and remember to tag me @foodnessgracious wherever you post!
Eggnog French Toast
- 4 oz unsalted butter divided in half
- 2 cups eggnog
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 Pete and Gerry's Organic Eggs
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 whole unsliced brioche loaf
- Maple syrup and whipped cream
- Melt half of the butter in a large non-stick pan over a low/medium heat until it begins to foam.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggnog, sugar, eggs, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Cut 4-6 slices of bread about an inch thick.
- Dip two slices into the batter making sure to coat both sides.
- Lift the bread over the bowl and let the excess drip back in.
- Place the bread slices into the pan and cook for about three minutes turning the bread over when the first side is golden brown.
- Repeat with the other side and then place both slices of bread on a baking tray.
- Cover with foil and repeat with the other slices making sure to wipe out the pan with a paper towel and add another two tablespoons of butter after every two slices.
- Serve with maple syrup and whipped cream if desired.