Start the day with a healthy egg white, spinach, and sausage protein biscuit!
This post is sponsored by Premier Protein.
I love a challenge and always do my best to knock that challenge out the ballpark, but this one was tough I tell ya! My challenge was to create a savory recipe using a protein shake.
Now that doesn’t sound too difficult but the shake was vanilla flavored! I could have created a million desserts but there’s already a million out there so where’s the fun in that?
So I made these light and fluffy biscuits which normally would call for buttermilk and switched the liquid to Premier Protein’s Vanilla Shake.
And I think I nailed it.
My main concern was, would the biscuits be too sweet but they weren’t at all. In fact, along with the chicken sausage they reminded me of when I add a splash of maple syrup to my breakfast and some will inevitably come into contact with my sausage or bacon. I’m a big fan of salty and sweet!
To keep things on the light side I added a slice of reduced fat swiss cheese along with some wilted spinach.
I skipped the egg yolk and went with fluffy egg white to ease up on the cholesterol. This is a great way to start the day and to bulk up on your protein. Make sure to whip your egg white before adding it to the pan to cook, you’ll get a much lighter end result.
And that’s how you can add vanilla into your favorite protein breakfast choice my friends. Mission accomplished.
You can find Premier Protein at most major retailers or skip the lines and order it online!
Egg White and Spinach Breakfast Biscuits
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 8 tbsp butter cold
- 1 cup Premier Protein Vanilla shake
- 4 pre cooked breakfast sausage patties
- 1 bunch spinach
- 4 egg whites
- 4 slices reduced fat swiss cheese
- Preheat the oven to 420 degrees F. Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Cut the butter up into chunks and add to the flour breaking the butter down with your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the Premier Protein Vanilla Shake and stir gently. The mixture will be wet so you can go ahead and add two more tablespoons of flour until the dough becomes a ball.
- Dump the dough onto a well-floured work surface and knead into a flat circle about 1 inch thick.
- Using a three-inch cookie cutter, cut the biscuits out of the dough and place them close together on the baking tray. Repeat until the dough has bee all used up.
- Bake the biscuits for about 12 minutes and golden brown on the bottom.
- In a large nonstick pan heat the water until hot and then add the spinach cooking until the spinach has wilted. Transfer to a plate.
- Wipe out the pan with a paper towel and then place back on a low heat with the butter.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until light and airy.
- Add the egg whites to the pan and let cook for about 4 minutes. Flip the egg whites over and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Warm the sausage patties in the microwave and then slice the biscuits in half.
- Place a sausage patty on the bottom part of each biscuit.
- Top the sausage with a slice of the swiss cheese, a piece of the egg white and some of the wilted spinach.
- Place the top on each biscuit and serve straight away with your favorite condiments.