Father’s Day was last Sunday, and I had a pretty good day!It started off with a lazy lie-in, and then I was presented with an awesome hardcover coffee-table book which my wife had custom-made through Shutterfly. She compiled a bunch of photographs from my recent trip to Hawaii with Quinn, added some text, and bingo. I was well impressed with its quality, all that was missing was this Healthy Edamame Salad.
For Father’s Day lunch we made plans to eat at Umamicattesen in downtown Los Angeles, and I must admit I was looking forward to their Manly burger with beer-cheddar cheese, bacon, onion strings and sauce. But alas…they were closed due to a Lincoln commercial being filmed on the same street. Gahhh. Umami and I haven’t had a very good relationship so far. The last time I ate there I ordered the Manly to go, and when I pulled that burger from the paper bag, it turned out to be an Umami original which still tasted freakin’ delicious, but it wasn’t the Manly. Some might say Umami is overrated, but it’s up there with the best of them in my burger world opinion.
We ended up eating dim sum at Ocean Seafood in Chinatown. This place is crazy busy with enough food carts to equal traffic on the 405 freeway at rush hour. The food was excellent and it was great to see the kids really getting stuck in and enjoying the lazy Susan a little too much. A bike ride to the park as the sun went down finished a good day. Can’t everyday be Father’s Day?
All that dim sum made me yearn for some new summer salad. I named this salad edamame and pinto bean, but it also has brown rice and a tasty cumin dressing. It’s one of those salads that tastes so fresh and clean when you first taste it. I’m not a big goopy salad kinda guy; I’d much rather have a tiny drizzle of dressing and then add more if I needed to. The dressing is crisp and tangy, the beans are crunchy, and the rice fills you up so it’s perfect even for a main course.
Don’t forget to visit my previous post for a chance to win your own iPad!! The competition closes on June 23rd…
Edamame and Pinto Bean Salad
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp fresh minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
- 3 cups cooked brown rice cooled
- 2 cups edamame beans
- 1 oz can pinto beans rinsed 14
- 3/4 cup finely diced red pepper
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl with a whisk, combine the olive oil, vinegar, garlic and cumin. Whisk until well combined, taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, add the cooled rice, edamame beans, chopped pepper and pinto beans.
- Mix together and season with salt and pepper. Add the chopped cilantro.
- Do not add the dressing to just before serving. Add about half at first and taste. Add more if you prefer.
- Mix well and serve in a large bowl, garnished with more cilantro leaves.