This fresh-tasting Cucumber and Cilantro Salad is perfect for an easy side dish or add a protein and call it dinner!
There’s nothing quite like the crunchy texture of a fresh, healthy cucumber salad. I think it almost tastes like a vegetable version of watermelon. Perfect for a hot summer day and although it’s still only January here in California, some days are feeling like summer.
In my opinion, salads should be simple unless it’s a grain-based salad, where the grain is heavy enough to support the extra ingredients you throw in. This Cucumber and Cilantro Salad has some red and yellow peppers for color and red pepper chili flakes to add a little spicy kick to it. The dressing is a super simple olive oil and lime juice blend.
Lots of fresh cilantro is added to finish things off, but remember to chop it finely because nobody wants that huge piece of leaf stuck in their teeth! This is such an easy salad to put together and will work great as a side for a summer barbecue or potluck item.
This salad is best eaten on the day you make it. Cucumbers have a lot of water that starts to expel when it sits. This salad is so easy and quick to prepare that you don’t really need to make it that far ahead. It’s helpful to have the peppers diced and because I spiralized my cucumbers, I let them sit on top of some paper towels for 5-10 minutes just to let some of that excess water get soaked up making my salad last that tiny bit longer. If you don’t own a spiralizer tool, you can slice the cucumbers into thin circles!
Cucumber and Cilantro Salad
- 3 large cucumber washed and spiraled
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- 3/4 cup fresh finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
For The Dressing
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch cracked black pepper
- Place the spiraled cucumber on some paper towels and let sit for 5 minutes to absorb any water.
- Add the cucumber noodles to a large bowl along with the diced red and yellow peppers.
- Add the chopped cilantro, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper.
- In a separate smaller bowl whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
- Add the dressing to the cucumber noodles and toss gently but making sure to coat all of the cucumber.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve at once or store covered in the refrigerator.