A fresh and tasty summer coleslaw recipe with grilled chicken for an extra protein boost!
This should be your summer go-to coleslaw salad.
This past week had temperatures in the high 90’s with no complaints from me. But the warm weather definitely switches up my tastes for what I want to eat. I’m also trying to avoid turning on the oven and having the A.C. go bananas!
So because of this, most of my cooking ends up being done outside on the grill, simple recipes that are fresh and light, perfect for sunny dinner times, and the kids love eating outside too. There’s something to be said for eating outside and listening to the birds.
Coleslaw is one of those classic side dishes that everyone loves especially around summer time and July 4th. It can stay as a side dish or it can be used as a topping for burgers, hot dogs and smoked pulled pork sandwiches…Yum!! I can just imagine stuffing my face into a burger bun with crunchy sweet and tangy coleslaw.
I decided to make my coleslaw it into a full blown healthy salad and toss it with extra creamy Litehouse Foods Coleslaw Dressing. Between the two types of cabbage, broccoli, apples, corn and grilled chicken for some extra protein, I figure I covered all of my bases for an epic summer dinner! Litehouse Coleslaw Dressing is gluten free, has no MSG or high fructose corn syrup and no artificial preservatives. Another thing I love about it is that it holds up really well with the rest of the salad, so those guests that arrive late (always right) will still be able to enjoy their coleslaw as if it had just been put out on the table!
This recipe is really adaptable, you could leave out the chicken and just go with super fresh and healthy vegetables. Seared salmon and giant shrimp would be amazing as another alternative.
You can find Litehouse Coleslaw at most major stores but look for it in the refrigerated section because it’s fresh and you can pick up two for $5 until July 8th, perfect for the holidays!
This post is sponsored by Litehouse Foods. All opinions and thoughts are always my own.
Coleslaw Salad with Grilled Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 whole corn still in the husks
- 1/4 whole red cabbage
- 1/4 whole green cabbage
- 3 whole rainbow carrots (or regular orange ones)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced broccoli
- 1 large red apple, diced
- 1 13oz Jar Litehouse Coleslaw Dressing
- Preheat your grill to high.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and grill until cooked and no longer pink in the middle. Set aside to cool.
- Heat each corn in the micro wave for 2 minutes and then peel away from the husks.
- Grill the corn until charred on both sides then slice down the sides to remove the corn from the husks.
- Shred the red and green cabbage finely and add to a large bowl.
- Peel the carrots, half them and then slice them finely julienne style, add to the cabbage.
- Add the broccoli and diced apples to the bowl.
- Take the chicken and cut it into cubes about 1 inch square and add to the vegetables.
- Add half of the Litehouse Coleslaw Dressing to the salad and gently toss to coat everything well. Add more dressing if preferred.
- Serve at once.
I love all of the colors in this slaw!
it’s 9 in the morning and all i want is that wine and salad. That’s breakfast, right? Sure! sign me up!
This is such a pretty recipe! I can’t wait to try it!
Yum! This look so perfect for these hot summer nights when I don’t want to turn the oven on!
Love this salad for a fresh and light summer dinner!
My kids favorite thing in the summer is to eat outside! (I’m with you on the birds) This slaw looks fantastic, I love the addition of apple!
This has me ALLLL over it!
So healthy and tasty!
This is such a great lunch idea!
Love a good coleslaw recipe!