A rich dark chocolate zucchini cake covered in a sweet cream cheese matcha frosting. This cake is gluten free and tastes epic! Grab the recipe from Alternative Baker and show the world how you rock in the kitchen!
This chocolate zucchini cake is not only great for snacking, it can easily be used for any celebration you might have going on!
I always have to remind myself how lucky I am to be able to do what I do everyday. When I started taking pictures of food, really really bad pictures I never imagined the things I’d taste, the places I’d visit or the people I’d meet. Lots of those people have now become good friends who offer up advice or help at the drop of an email without hesitation.
Let me tell you about one of them. Alanna is the person behind the blog, The Bojon Gourmet. You probably know it but if you don’t, you really should pay her a visit.
Aside from her genius and creative recipes like this chocolate zucchini cake, most of which are vegetarian, vegan or gluten free, you’ll be scrolling forever through her fantastic photography. I used to look at some of her action shots and wonder how the heck she was able to do them, and after meeting her in person at a conference she was willing to give me some advice. This lady couldn’t be more approachable.
Alanna recently published her first cook book, Alternative Baker and I hope it’s closely followed by a second. The book focuses on using gluten free grains and flours and is loaded with some crazy tasty desserts! Of course each recipe is buddied up with a stellar picture so when I tried to choose a recipe to make, I was feeling some pressure.
This Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Match Frosting caught my eye. Duh, it’s chocolate and that green matcha frosting is everything!
The cake is gluten free, dense and moist. The frosting not too sweet with that unique matcha flavor.
Christmas is almost here and I know for sure there’s someone you know that would benefit from owning this book. So basically just buy it for them and then guilt them into making you all sorts of amazing desserts.
It’s a total win-win for everyone.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Matcha Frosting
- 8 ounces peeled and grated zucchini
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup olive oil or sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp high quality matcha powder
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Place the cup of grated zucchini into a bowl and add the brown sugar, eggs, oil, milk and vanilla. Mix well with a fork.
- Using a sieve, add the cocoa powder, sorghum, rice flour, baking powder and salt and mix until lump free.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 45 minutes and the center is no longer soft. Let cool.
- Make the frosting by combining the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, matcha and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Beat until light and fluffy making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl a few times.
- Once the cake is cool, spread the frosting all over the top. Serve at room temperature or store in the fridge until needed remembering to bring back to room temp.