Yesterday was National Nutty Fudge Day, but a nutty fudge breakfast sandwich doesn’t sound legit.
But I can make one to celebrate National Hummus Day today, (insert super-excited emoji).
Actually we need a hummus emoji for National Hummus Day, and I just noticed that May 14th is National Buttermilk Biscuit Day. It’s a total coincedence that I used my favorite buttermilk biscuit recipe for this post, I swear!
Now I want to find out what’s happening on May 15th (just checked and it’s National Chocolate Chip Day).
But let’s talk hummus and how it’s not just for dipping. Sabra Hummus has so many flavors to choose from and you should be adding them to your recipes for a major flavor upgrade, like these savory basil pesto donuts or crazy easy hummus flat bread pizzas. Warm hummus is soooo good I tell ya!
I think biscuits for breakfast is a genius idea. All of that flaky stuff going on and usually drenched in butter, except I switched out the butter spread in these biscuits for Sabra Chipotle Hummus.
That’s only half the story, Spreading the hummus just on the biscuit would be too easy. I added the chipotle hummus to my biscuit dough, so you can taste the chipotle-ness in every bite!
Protein is a must at breakfast for me, so I threw in a spicy andouille sausage and perched it on top of the hummus for a biscuit, hummus sausage trifecta. That’s one happy sausage, nestled between spicy chipotle hummus and and a flaky buttermilk biscuit hat.
You can score a two dollar coupon for your own Sabra. So if you’ve never tried hummus – wagging my finger at you – you can ease yourself into it without killing any hard earned dollars. I can guarantee you’ll fall madly in love with it and end up making all sorts of hummus filled recipes in the future.
This is a perfectly normal hummus reaction.
This post was sponsored by Sabra. As a Sabra Tastemaker, all opinions and thoughts are my own.
Chipotle Hummus Sausage Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup Sabra Chipotle Hummus plus extra for spreading
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 andouille sausage pre-cooked
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the butter and crumble into fine pieces.
- Add the buttermilk and chipotle hummus and stir until the dough starts to come together in a ball.
- Dump the dough out onto a floured work surface and gently roll into a ball. Dust with some extra flour if it's sticky.
- Pat the dough down until it's about 1 inch thick.
- Using a 3 inch cookie cutter, cut the biscuits out an place them close together onto the prepared pan. You should get 5-6 biscuits.
- Brush the top of each biscuit with some beaten egg and bake in the oven for 20-25m and golden brown.
- Let cool.
- Cut the sausage down the middle length ways but not all the way through.
- Heat the sausage up in a pan along with the olive oil and cook until both sides are cooked through, about 3 minutes each side.
- Slice two biscuits in half and spread the bottoms liberally with Sabra Chipotle Hummus.
- Place a sausage on top and then place the top part of the biscuit afterwards.
- Serve at once.