Flaky Cheddar Biscuits with chipotle cheddar cheese and fresh basil . These are the easiest biscuits to make and perfect for pairing with your favorite beef chili or an awesome breakfast sandwich!
Whoever decided to add biscuits as a side to their dinner was a genius! Things can get even sassier if you add handfuls of melted Cabot Chipotle Aged Cheddar and fresh basil to the dough.
And should we talk about how easy it is to actually make biscuits? Homemade is a billion times better than any store bought biscuit which probably started it’s life happy enough and then was shot down a conveyor belt, shoved in a box and frozen solid
That’s how most biscuits will get back to you. Supposedly it’s convenient but guys, making biscuits from scratch takes about 40 minutes from mixing to munching. You can add all sorts of other ingredients like pumpkin or hummus, maybe blanket them in garlic butter?
Just follow a few simple but important rules for biscuit making and you’ll be solid.
Don’t overwork the dough. Gently mix with your fingers, yup get stuck in and get prepared to be covered in sticky dough because it’s the only way to know just how much the dough has been worked.
No need for any rolling pins. Just pat the dough down into a rough circle before cutting out the biscuits.
Keep the biscuits close together when you place them on the baking sheet, almost touching. This encourages the biscuits to bake and rise together with less dry edges ending up as a softer biscuit
That’s pretty much biscuit making 101. Pat yourself on the back and print yourself a certificate for being the best baker on your block!
Biscuits are wonderful, we agree right?
Chipotle Cheddar Biscuits with Fresh Basil
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 9 tablespoons butter cold and chopped into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 1/4 cups grated Cabot Chipotle Cheddar divided
- 1 cup roughly torn/chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl combine the flour. baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the butter to the flower and crumble it through the flour with your fingertips.
- Add the buttermilk, 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and the basil.
- Gently mix until the dough starts to come together.
- Dump the dough out onto a well floured work surface and form it into a ball.
- Pat the dough down until it's about one inch thick.
- Using a three inch cookie cutter, cut out the biscuits and place them close together on the parchment paper.
- Glaze each biscuit with the milk and then sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup grated cheddar on top of the biscuits.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and the cheese has melted.