I can see it right there, I can almost touch it, it looks so good. The weekend is coming, friends, and I’m ready for it. Bring on the barbecue, sides, and adult liquids and just leave them on my front porch, thank you very much.
My kids went back to school on Wednesday and I’ve been trying to get back on my hamster wheel. We had a solid summer but it was time for Q and M to get back into the routine of a school bell. They won’t miss me waking them up by banging a pot with a wooden spoon, or by blasting heavy metal on Pandora – this may have happened a few times, and it worked like a charm.
I’ve already been seeing some early pumpkin sightings, which I fully support, but still no Pumpkin Spice Latte at my local Starbucks. I’m a straight coffee person with no frills, but the new PSL with real pumpkin sounds like it deserves a chance.
With the kids back in school dinner also becomes more time sensitive. During the summer months, we would eat whenever we liked, so less planning was needed. But now it’s food, bath, reading, snack (more food?) and bedtime.
Anything cooked in one pan is high on the awesome list. Just looking at one pan recipes can cast a calmness over you and send super-hero powers to feed a family in 30 (ish) minutes or so.
This sleek skillet number has chicken and mushrooms simmered in a white wine sauce. Don’t worry about the alcohol, it’ll burn off by the time it’s cooked.
Other chicken and mushroom dinners:
Damn Delicious- Baked Chicken and Mushroom
Natasha’s Kitchen- Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Dinner
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 8 ounces brown crimini sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 of a medium-sized onion sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp Salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 whole medium sized chicken breasts roughly cut into cubes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- In a large 10 inch skillet melt 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Add the mushrooms, onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Mix the flour, rosemary and salt and pepper together in a bowl. Save 2 tbsp to the side.
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet over a medium heat until warm.
- Toss the chicken in the flour mixture and then add to the skillet.
- Cook the chicken just until browned and transfer to the bowl with the mushrooms.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of butter to the skillet and stir to soak up the chicken juices followed by the saved 2 tbsp of flour.
- Gradually add the chicken broth and wine whisking to prevent any lumps and turn the heat to high until simmering.
- Bring to a simmer and add the mushrooms and chicken to the skillet.
- Spread it out evenly and simmer for about 10-12 minutes, til the sauce has thickened.
- Add some fresh chopped rosemary and serve over rice or mashed potatoes.