A sweet and gooey Butter Cake laced with toasted coconut bits and dusted with powdered sugar!
I wouldn’t say I was the spontaneous type. I much prefer to plan things and have a back up in my back pocket.
But this weekend we had a family celebration dinner and although everything we ate at Kings Fish House was really good, the major ooo’s and ahh’s came at dessert…shocker!
Served warm with vanilla ice cream it was gone in about 45 seconds (I think my kids ate most of it) and up until then I was a traditional butter cake newbie. Can you believe I had never tried it, who am I?
Good lordy! That stuff is good. So good I just had to make my own later that night…at 10pm.
Everything was going awesome but it takes 45 minutes to bake and now we’re looking at 11.15 before it’ll be ready.
So I fell asleep and burned it. Womp.
No problem, I had another in the oven as soon as I got up this morning, chilled it in the fridge and took some pretty pictures all before lunchtime. And I’m glad I did because you probably have all the ingredients in your kitchen right now, so make it today but just don’t take a nap and burn it like I did.
There’s tons of butter cake recipes available on the information superhighway, all following the same basic format. But this is a dessert that can be easily doctored and I’m all about trying to make things a little different. I added toasted coconut to my butter cake and loved how it turned out.
I’ll definitely be making butter cake again and think any kind of citrus added would taste amazing, or maybe dark chocolate chunks?
Are you a butter cake lover or have you been hiding under the same rock as me and have never heard of it?
Let me know if you make it, or anything else and be sure to tag me @foodnessgracious.
Have a great week friends!
- 4 ounces soft butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup regular sugar
- 1 whole egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups shredded toasted coconut divided
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Using a stand up mixer beat the butter, brown sugar and regular sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, vanilla and 1/2 cup of the coconut and mix.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix on low speed until a dough is formed.
- Press the dough into the baking pan and press until flat and it covers the entire pan.
- In the same stand mixer bowl, combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, eggs, vanilla and 1 cup of the toasted coconut.
- Mix on high speed until creamy scraping down halfway through the mixing.
- Transfer the mixture on top of the dough in the baking pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes and golden brown on top. Let cool before slicing into squares.
- Best served slightly warm with vanilla ice cream.