These mini soda breads are perfect when everyone wants their own piece! And it’s always a bonus when they’re loaded with bacon and cheddar!
St Patrick’s Day is up next. Valentine’s Day is just a memory, my chocolate is long gone but we still have our cards on display. I look forward to St Patrick’s Day though because the food that’s centered around it is some of my favorites like corned beef, roasted cabbage, and creamy mashed potatoes loaded with butter! I’ll probably add a few Guinness in somewhere just to be completely in the spirit.
Irish soda bread is another important must-have on the table. With so many different options from sweet to savory, I can guarantee there’ll be one for you that you’ll love. Every year my rosemary cheddar version goes crazy on Pinterest, but I thought it’d be fun to make these individual versions as a mini soda bread recipe. And friends, I loaded this recipe up with sharp cheddar and lots of crispy bacon chunks, you’re very welcome!
Is this mini soda bread recipe easy to make?
They’re really easy to put together. With only seven ingredients and one bowl, it’s so simple you could push this job to one of the kids while you get the corned beef going. The dough does turn out a little on the sticky side but as long as you work quickly and have some extra flour beside you, the bread will turn out awesome!
Should I make these the day before?
I’d try and make them the same day you’ll have your corned beef dinner. Soda bread becomes dry really quickly, but if you need to make them ahead, place them in a zip lock bag and keep at room temperature.
How should I serve these mini soda breads?
If you can pull them out of the oven just as you slice your corned beef, then you nailed it! But if not don’t worry, place the breads in some foil and wrap them loosely. Warm in a 350-degree oven for about 10 minutes and serve with soft salted butter for maximum yumminess!
Happy St Patrick’s Day to everyone, make sure you have plenty to eat and drink! Tag me @foodnessgracious so I can see how you celebrate!
Check out these other St Patrick’s Day recipes I think you’ll love!
- Guinness Beer Battered Onion Rings
- The best Guinness chocolate cake
- Baileys Irish cream cheesecake bars
- Chocolate pecan Irish soda bread
Bacon Cheddar Mini Soda Bread Recipe
- 5 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 whole egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray or brush a muffin pan with nonstick spray or melted butter, lightly add some flour to coat and dump the excess flour out.
- Cook the bacon until crispy, let cool slightly and then chop it up.
- In a small cup whisk together the egg and buttermilk.
- Using a stand mixer, combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt, pepper, and cheddar.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the flour along with the chopped bacon and mix on low speed for about 30 seconds.
- Dump the dough out onto a work surface dusted with plenty of flour and roll into a ball shape.
- Divide the dough evenly into 9 pieces.
- Form each piece into a small ball shape and add to the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.