Flatbread has to be one of the tastiest appetizers around. Essentially there’s no huge difference between it and pizza, but when I eat flatbread, I always think it’s lighter or healthier for some weird reason, but I’m still calling this a flatbread pizza because I just can’t decide.
Maybe I can justify it because I use half of the dough that would usually be used for a pizza, and I roll it out until it’s almost paper thin. You can make your own dough which is easy but can be time consuming and there’s plenty of decent pre-made pizza dough out there. I like to get mine from Whole Foods just because it turns out nice and chewy with crispy edges. The dough has to relax after you roll it to the correct size, I let it sit for about 20 minutes before adding the toppings. This wait time is vital but not just for the dough – it’s also known as margarita time!
For this flatbread I used some leftover roasted chicken and Californian avocados now that they’re in season. Topped with Mexican Cotija cheese and cilantro cream, you’ll have the easiest Cinco de Mayo appetizer ever. Always remember when you’re baking pizzas or flatbreads- a high oven temperature is really important! In fact if you’ve ever wondered just how hot your oven can get, this is the time to find out. Set that dial to as high as it can go – mine is 550 degrees – and see what happens. It might smoke a tiny bit, and that’s okay. In a real wood-burning oven the temp can reach as high as 800 degrees and I’d kill to have my own oven in the backyard. You just want to cook the bread super fast until the sides start to bubble up and get crispy.
Chicken, bacon, cheese and avocado…it doesn’t get much better than this.
Avocado and Chicken Flatbread
For The Cilantro Cream
- 8 ounces of sour cream
- 1 cup of cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
For The Flatbread
- 16 ounce ball of pizza dough halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup cooked chicken chopped
- 1/4 cup cooked bacon chopped
- 1 cup grated Cotija cheese
- 1 avocado sliced and diced into cubes
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a food processor, combine the cilantro, sour cream, salt and pepper until well combined. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 550 degrees or to the highest setting. Dust a cookie sheet with a little flour.
- Dust a worktop lightly with flour. Roll the pizza dough into a rectangle shape until it's at least 12 inches long and 10 inches wide without being stretched.
- Lay it on the cookie sheet and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the avocado by scooping out the flesh and cutting into cubes.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the rolled out piece of dough. Lay the chopped chicken onto the flatbread.
- Place the bacon bits on top of the chicken followed by the avocado.
- Lastly sprinkle the cheese on top. Place the flatbread into the oven and bake for about 5-7 minutes watching it carefully as it can burn very easily.
- Once the flatbread is ready take it out of the oven and drizzle some of the cilantro cream over it.
- Finally garnish with some fresh cilantro leaves and serve at once.