It’s day 2 of my week long salad party and this is one I’ll be making again asap. Shaved ribbons of green and yellow squash, sliced almonds and Pecorino are glazed in a strong olive oil and garlic dressing making this a fantastic healthy choice for lunch…or dinner.
I’m really digging eating so many great, healthy salads right now. I love the fresh taste of the leaves, and how just the slightest little drizzle of really good olive oil can make great things happen! Another thing I love about salads are how loosey-goosey they can be. Grab a bag of mixed greens from the store and add some staple ingredients. It could be vegetables, nuts, cheese or seeds. Keep it crunchy, so the veggies should be raw, the nuts should be big (?) and the cheese, dry and aged if you’re going to grate it.
I believe there’s two points in a vegetables life when the flavor is at it’s peak, when it’s raw and when it’s been roasted. Anything in between doesn’t do much for me. Raw veggies like these squash taste amazing, but they take on a whole new flavor when roasted. The natural sugars caramelize and you capture all of those burnt pieces. Brussels sprouts are a great example. I grew up with a boiled version and wasn’t in love with them, but I could easily eat a whole platter of roasted sprouts!
Watch out for Wednesdays salad which is full of flavors from another continent. Don’t miss it!
Arugula Greens with Squash and Pecorino
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 pound baby zucchini green and yellow if possible
- 2 1/2 Tbsp good extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 large handfuls of arugula
- 6 ounces pecorino cheese
- Trim the ends of the the squash and peel the outer skin layer.
- Using a mandoline or a vegetable peeler, shave off long ribbons of squash and set aside in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add the arugula and the almonds to the squash.
- Drizzle some of the dressing over the salad and gently toss with your hands. If you feel you need more, drizzle lightly.
- Place the tossed salad onto the plate and grate some pecorino over the top of it.
- Serve at once.